Discuss First Aid Annotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alfred35

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone want to share their methods for annotating first aid? I'm talking pretty specific things -- did you color code things (and if so, how many colors?), did you unbind the book (and then would you keep it together, split up sections, etc.), where did you annotate from (and how much? one sentence a topic? whole pages?)

Basically, what did it look like in the end, and what would you have done differently? First Aid annotations seem like a big mystery to me, with everyone supposedly doing them, but I guess I'm not too sure HOW to go about it.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Bumping an older post rather than starting a new topic. I read a lot about "annotating" first aid. I am wondering what exactly you guys mean by this. Would anyone who has taken Step 1 be willing to perhaps take a screenshot of a page out of their version and post it so I can get an idea of what you mean? Much appreciated.

Bumping an older post rather than starting a new topic. I read a lot about "annotating" first aid. I am wondering what exactly you guys mean by this. Would anyone who has taken Step 1 be willing to perhaps take a screenshot of a page out of their version and post it so I can get an idea of what you mean? Much appreciated.

My personal method:
-Anything in UWorld: Blue pen
-Anything in UWorld that was necessary to get a question right and that I didn't know: Pink highlighter (superimposed on pen, pencil or FA print)
-All notes from Pathoma, Kaplan, BRS, etc. (not UWorld): Pencil

My method emphasized UWorld being gospel. In the end after completing my first pass through everything, I could really quickly go through chapters of FA and just see the highlighted + blue pen stuff and really hammer that down extra.

The general emphasis on your annotations should be very simple facts -- minimize full sentences and never write paragraphs. Examples:
-Hematemesis after repeated vomiting = Mallory-Weiss
-"Liver biopsy shows dark granules" = Dubin-Johnson
-Gross hematuria + FH of sickle cell = Renal Papillary Necrosis

Also, copy tables and charts from UWorld and write them in your own way as needed (i.e. not mindlessly).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
http://jintus.blogspot.com/2013/10/infectious-disease-is-done.html
Jintus+-+Infectious+Disease+FA.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Someone mentioned that they do "Negative highlighting" i.e to highlight with a black marker what they know and when everything is black then take the test.

Why would you destroy your book and deprive yourself of the chance for future review? Just because you know something at one point in time is no guarantee you won't need to reference it or review it later.

Reactions: 1 user