Discussing Upward Trend During Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throwaway_MD

Reaction score
Hi SDN!

I am using a throwaway to get some advice for an upcoming interview. I am a non-trad who had a significant upward trend during undergrad, but sadly I ended up with a 3.3 cGPA and 3.0 sGPA. However, I can very much speak to the challenges I faced (first-gen student, helping parents financially, etc) that led to those few years of meh grades. Additionally, my MCAT was pretty average (512). Ever since undergrad, I have accumulated a great deal of ECs (and even in undergrad I was quite involved), including significant research experience with a published article.

I was lucky enough to have been given the opportunity to interview at 2 mid-tier MD schools, but have been waitlisted at both places.

Question 1) I know it is hard to say what led to my WLs (i felt very good about both interviews), but could it be that my poor GPA is what is placing me on the WL? If so, how do I overcome that barrier during my interview and beyond?

Furthermore, I have an upcoming interview at another mid-tier MD school, and want to make sure I put my best foot forward.

Question 2) This upcoming interview is open-file and based on some SDN folks, the school has asked about poor grades in the past. I am prepared to answer that question, but what if they don't ask? Either because the reviewer did not read all of my app, or whatever reason, Would it behoove me to discuss my upward trend, if my interviewer does not ask about it?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Only bring it up if it is natural. If they ask about red flags or something similar. Follow the flow of the conversation. I have a similar GPA and trend and it didn't come up in all of my interviews, which is fine.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also, you can't always "overcome" a low GPA other than by improving the GPA. I was waitlisted at one school (post II) that told me it was only because of my GPA that I was waitlisted (they allow a phone call with the admissions director). Doing well in the interview is all you can do at this point. We dug our hole and now we have to live in it.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
I was asked about it more than not, but even in the interviews where it didn’t come up I discussed it. My thinking was when the committee met to go over my application post-interview, all they’d see is my big fat stinker of a GPA and it would be an easy decision for them. My spiel summed up was that I knew I screwed up when I was younger, had no excuses, but humbly asked them to consider that I had grown as a student/person based on my record over the past 2-3 years.

I’m currently 3/3 on converting II’s into A’s with a chance for another. I can only go off of my experience, which is admittedly limited, but I felt that addressing the elephant in the room gave me a better chance because my interviewers would at least have something to say to the committee when discussing my GPA.

Of course, there are much more experienced folks than I on here, so if that seems to go against conventional wisdom maybe follow their advice.

Thank you all for you input! It's been helpful to learn from all your experiences!

You should mention it if asked 'anything else'. That is your chance to have your grades be interpreted with your (rather than someone else's) narrative. As long as it's done maturely and not in a whiny or self-pitying manner, it is likely to reflect positively on you. You only get credit for what you show and tell. You cannot assume that others will make these connections for you.

Also, you can and should weave your background into your answers for "tell me about yourself", to highlight your experiences and how they have contributed to your growth and learning. As others have pointed out, interviewees do have some sway in how the interview proceeds. Best of luck

Reactions: 4 users
All of the responses above are great.

I just want to add a note for future applicants/premeds/undergrads:

At the start of the cycle/application/interview season, applicants are often told that converting II into A is dependent on the applicant etc but the untold footnote is that while a terrible interview can almost guarantee a non-A result, an amazing interview does not = A. Applicants do not enter the interview day on an equal footing and so having a great interview may still be held back by other parts of the application.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
You should mention it if asked 'anything else'.

Agreed. A lot of times interviewers will ask if there is anything else you want them to know. At one interview I was asked if there was anything I wanted them to bring to the committee on my behalf. That’s the time to lay it out there.

Also, you can't always "overcome" a low GPA other than by improving the GPA. I was waitlisted at one school (post II) that told me it was only because of my GPA that I was waitlisted (they allow a phone call with the admissions director). Doing well in the interview is all you can do at this point. We dug our hole and now we have to live in it.

Was that Creighton? I remember you from the thread I think. I bet there will be WL movement, lots of people have more options later on in the cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
All of the responses above are great.

I just want to add a note for future applicants/premeds/undergrads:

At the start of the cycle/application/interview season, applicants are often told that converting II into A is dependent on the applicant etc but I think the untold footnote there is that while a terrible interview can almost guarantee a non-A result, an amazing interview does not mean an A. Applicants do not enter the interview day on an equal footing and so having a great interview may still be held back by other parts of the application.

True. However, on my acceptance call with the school I will probably attend I was told the dean of admissions, who I interviewed with, could not stop saying good things about me. I'd imagine there's some luck involved with who you get to interview you as well.

True. However, on my acceptance call with the school I will probably attend I was told the dean of admissions, who I interviewed with, could not stop saying good things about me. I'd imagine there's some luck involved with who you get to interview you as well.

yes of course! (A small dose of) luck is always involved throughout the whole process. Getting stuck with a bad reviewer/interviewer is the other end of the spectrum too..

While I had strong GPA, I had a terrible first MCAT score that I improved upon by 15 points the second time around.
However throughout my interviews I was asked about what happened the first time rather than celebrating the improvement.

In my opinion, I feel that extreme responsibility and outright honesty are the best approaches. If you are not asked about it, then I do believe you should address it if at all possible. Discuss what you learned from the process and then transition into how failure strengthened you as a applicant and better prepared you for medical school.

just my opinion... GOOD LUCK!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi SDN!

I am using a throwaway to get some advice for an upcoming interview. I am a non-trad who had a significant upward trend during undergrad, but sadly I ended up with a 3.3 cGPA and 3.0 sGPA. However, I can very much speak to the challenges I faced (first-gen student, helping parents financially, etc) that led to those few years of meh grades. Additionally, my MCAT was pretty average (512). Ever since undergrad, I have accumulated a great deal of ECs (and even in undergrad I was quite involved), including significant research experience with a published article.

I was lucky enough to have been given the opportunity to interview at 2 mid-tier MD schools, but have been waitlisted at both places.

Question 1) I know it is hard to say what led to my WLs (i felt very good about both interviews), but could it be that my poor GPA is what is placing me on the WL? If so, how do I overcome that barrier during my interview and beyond?

Furthermore, I have an upcoming interview at another mid-tier MD school, and want to make sure I put my best foot forward.

Question 2) This upcoming interview is open-file and based on some SDN folks, the school has asked about poor grades in the past. I am prepared to answer that question, but what if they don't ask? Either because the reviewer did not read all of my app, or whatever reason, Would it behoove me to discuss my upward trend, if my interviewer does not ask about it?

Thank you!
just a quick question if you don't mind what schools did you apply too because im really nervous? Im on track to graduate with a 3.5-3.6 cum gpa and 3.2-3.3 science gpa and mcat I have 514 im really nervous!! help me out here tbh like will I even get an interview is my thinking at this point

How would you all define a "low" GPA? Is anything between the 10th-25th GPA percentile of matriculants considered low?