Discussion of interview topics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emdeetwobee

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I must comment, this forum is on caffeine, for I can hardly keep up and keep track. Anyway, seeing that the dreaded interview dates are fast approaching, I want to get some ideas on certain topics that might come up on the interviews, as well as suggestions on how to answer them.

1. Back-up plan.

In my situation (and based on my application credentials), I do not have a concrete "back-up" plan. I have been advised to have one, because interviewers insist on looking for an answer other than "reapplying". I thought about P.A.s (physician assistants), seeing that the requirements and practices are similar to that of an M.D.

2. Religious controversies.(Applied to Jesuit/Christian schools)

I did nonmedical volunteer work for a religious organization, but this organization is somewhat controversial for its recruitment tactics. After struggling as to whether I should mention this in one essay, I finally gave in to including this piece of information for the sake of honesty (i.e. a question specifically asked for "religious involvement"). I have nothing to do with recruitment... I only wanted the experience of doing community service (specifically for the orphanage that was sponsored by that organization).

3. The Yale Curriculum (esp. for those who chose Yale)

My reasons for choosing a competition-free/stress-free curriculum (for the first two years anyway) seem to be mundane (e.g. to have a little more freedom in organizing life's schedules in pursuit of a well-rounded experience), I need more info on actual benefits other than the few that Yale has on their website and viewbook.

Another thing worth mentioning: I honestly find predicatble questions difficult (e.g. why medicine and what are the values of a good physician that you feel are needed and list those that you have). I understand that there is no good resource for getting answers to these questions (even from interviewfeedback), simply because of the competitive nature of having "the good answers". But perhaps medical students could help us struggling interviewees out, mmm? I understand that the applicant is unique and thus honesty is the best teacher, but sometimes honest answers can be forged peripherally from experiences of others.

Anyway, my thanks to all for making this a superb forum.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey emdeetwobee - I'm not a med school student YET :) but I would suggest that you revise your answer to #1. If being a physician is what you really want to do, then there is no need to state that you'd consider being a PA - unless that is truly how you feel. For instance, if I were asked that question in an interview, I would merely state that I wold strengthen my application and reapply the following year due to the fact that medicine is the only profession that I have ever considered. Not only am I being sincere, but this was also advice I heard during group mock interviews at a pre-med program at Yale Med this summer. Also, you'd be surprised, not everyone states that they would reapply - some go on to mention different professions. Whatever you decide upon just be truthful and be yourself. Good luck! BTW You have some great schools you're interviewing at :)