Discussion Sticky

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bananaface

Pharmacy Supernerd
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought we could use a place to throw general forum related ideas around. Please feel free to add your thoughts, or to bring up additional topics for discussion.

This is what is on my mind today:

Moving Pharmacy Students threads from Pre-Pharmacy
If there are any specific threads hanging out in Pre-Pharm that you think are more useful as Pharmacy Students topics, let me know and I will gladly move them. We have alot of stuff over there from before this area was created that I don't want to move unless it is going to be bumped.

Specifically, a few people have mentioned moving the c/o threads here. Is that something everyone is cool with? That might help to get the new accepted students posting general topics here instead of in Pre-Pharmacy.

Members don't see this ad.

bananaface said:
Specifically, a few people have mentioned moving the c/o threads here. Is that something everyone is cool with? That might help to get the new accepted students posting general topics here instead of in Pre-Pharmacy.

Sounds good to me. I mean the only point of this division was to make sure all of our posts don't get lost and i think we're ok on that right now....

Members don't see this ad :)
I really don't think the c/o threads should be moved. It's used as a way to congratulate 'pre-pharmacy' students that have been accepted. To me, it would just seem out of place in the Pharmacy student forum.

illusions said:
I really don't think the c/o threads should be moved. It's used as a way to congratulate 'pre-pharmacy' students that have been accepted. To me, it would just seem out of place in the Pharmacy student forum.

But it's a way to know which school a person does attend and what year they are. It's useful as a reference. Plus, the people on past Roll Call threads are no longer pre-pharmacy. ;)

If you really want to know, it isint all that hard to click 3 times over to the other forum and figure it out :D

Seems to me that an acceptance doesn't exactly make you a pharmacy student until you start classes. Perhaps in the fall of the year you can then move that years roll call over? Or over here have a roll call for "what school do you attend?" since some lucky people get accepted to more than one school.

Just my squeeky "pre-pharmacy person" suggestion.

slinking back over to the other side.

The current roll call thread will only be stickied until the admissions process is over for the year. After that, it will fall off the page like the other two have, although links to all 3 of the roll stickies are in the FAQ's first post.

There is no reason for the older two threads not to be in the Pharmacy Students area. New members already in school have little chance of finding them buried 12 pages down in Pre-Pharmacy.

Perhaps the current roll call thread will get better exposure in Pre-Pharmacy, though. Many people won't visit the Pharmacy Students forum until school actually starts. I think the idea of bringing the thread here is to draw admitted students to this forum, so that we can retain them after they have completed the admissions process.

I wonder if perhaps there is a way to accomplish all of these things. We could move the actual roll call thread here and post a new thread in Pre-Pharmacy which contains a link and a little blurb asking people to start posting non-admissions related questions over in this area. What are your thoughts on this idea?

i don't think there are all that many non-admission related questions asked right now.

Is there actually a problem with people visiting the pharmacy students forum? I have seen a couple of pre-pharmers over here.....

Perhaps the problem is not them not coming... maybe we're just boring.

jemc2000 said:
Seems to me that an acceptance doesn't exactly make you a pharmacy student until you start classes. Perhaps in the fall of the year you can then move that years roll call over? Or over here have a roll call for "what school do you attend?" since some lucky people get accepted to more than one school.

Just my squeeky "pre-pharmacy person" suggestion.

slinking back over to the other side.

Yeah, I was referring to the past roll calls, not the current one.

Well I was referring to the current one. I guess theres nothing wrong with a sticky of the older ones

So, you want the old ones moved here but not the current one? I can do that this weekend sometime.

Michele, everyone is welcome over here. Pre-Pharm is just for the admissions/decision related questions. You know we love you. ;)

Bananaface- I know this is pre-pharm related, but what do you think about having another forum for PCAT discussions? just something I was thinking about...

Members don't see this ad :)
I can bring that request to Lee if people think it would be helpful. Does anyone else think that is warranted? As it stands now, pharm = anything but pre-pharmacy questions. We have been active enough lately to warrant our separate student forum. Are there enough PCAT questions to warrant a separate PCAT forum? This is going to be Lee's main question.

bananaface said:
I can bring that request to Lee if people think it would be helpful. Does anyone else think that is warranted? As it stands now, pharm = anything but pre-pharmacy questions. We have been active enough lately to warrant our separate student forum. Are there enough PCAT questions to warrant a separate PCAT forum? This is going to be Lee's main question.
there are enough pcat questions to make me want to puke... does that count??

Maybe a first step would be to have a PCAT sticky and see if that works.

Just a thought. :)

i think the sticky is a great idea... also what about stickying the tell me about yourself... i don't want 50000000000000000 stickies though....

hmm glad i'm not you

:laugh:

Lee just nixed the interview feedback sticky for some reason. I'm not sure if that will be coming back or if he has some other plan about how to draw people into that. He has said that he prefers no more than 2 stickies per forum. But, if we have 3 it's not the end of the world. If we get to 4, then we have a problem.

If we had an official PCAT thread, would some questions go unaddressed?

i don't feel that they would go unaddressed but then again... i'm not going to look at it all that often as i have absolutely no input/experience on the subject...

perhaps you should post a thread over in pre-pharm about it to see what they think... it seems like people really comfortable with the boards are the only ones reading this and responding

I have another idea that will probably not work well but... what about an "official what are my chances" thread

you could link to it in the FAQ and MAYBE people with different situations could all post in one place

am i trying to streamline pre-pharm too much??

bbmuffin said:
I have another idea that will probably not work well but... what about an "official what are my chances" thread

you could link to it in the FAQ and MAYBE people with different situations could all post in one place

IMHO most of the people that won't do a search first to look for that information probably won't read the FAQ either. But perhaps I am being too negative. :(

It just seems to me that everybody wants their own thread to have somebody pat them on the back and say "of course you still have a chance". I think most newbies do it. I'm sure I did, so I am not trying to ridicule anyone. Seems human nature.

jemc2000 said:
IMHO most of the people that won't do a search first to look for that information probably won't read the FAQ either. But perhaps I am being too negative. :(

It just seems to me that everybody wants their own thread to have somebody pat them on the back and say "of course you still have a chance". I think most newbies do it. I'm sure I did, so I am not trying to ridicule anyone. Seems human nature.
i know you are exactly correct...

it was just a thought

bbmuffin said:
i know you are exactly correct...

it was just a thought

:( Sorry. I'm just in a "it-is-March-and-it-looks-like-I'm-not-getting-in-this-year" funk. It was a good idea. :love:

lol
i know how you feel
schools suck...
just remember that everywhere that denies you sucks too...

its just one of those days for me too...
i'm the most cynical person ever...

We do have alot more people reading the FAQ than we used to before I made the thread title more flashy. The individual "what are my chances" threads are just going to happen, no matter what.

PCAT questions we could either be consolidated into one thread, or we could have a PCAT sticky where we link to threads on commonly asked PCAT questions, giving the topic a little bit more exposure and depth than it has in the FAQ. Frankly, I have not taken the new PCAT and am not in a position to discuss the recent changes in the FAQ without someone's assistance. If someone wants to help develop this area of the FAQ or work on a PCAT sticky, let me know. Even if we don't consolidate all the PCAT threads, that is something we should look at putting together.

that sticky with the links to the different threads is a fantastic idea

along with the new pcat info...

this is why you are the mod

Perhaps the problem is not them not coming... maybe we're just boring.

c'mon... You think? :sleep: :sleep: :laugh:

I'm brand new here... great site with lots of info BTW.

The first place I went was the Pharmacy FAQ. Probably because it was right on top. After I scoured that for a day or two, I started reading the pre-pharm threads. Now I'm browsing here. Probably will be my only post here, at least for now, but just wanted to say thanks for keeping the place organized.

bananaface said:
PCAT questions we could either be consolidated into one thread, or we could have a PCAT sticky where we link to threads on commonly asked PCAT questions, giving the topic a little bit more exposure and depth than it has in the FAQ.

One advantage, also, is sometimes when there are SO many threads on the same subject, I am not sure which one to post to.

ok so i was looking through the roll call thread and trying to remember where some of the less frequent posters attend/attended school.

what if over here we had a thread similar to roll call but without the year designation

perhaps the first page could be a running list (again similar to roll call) with the user name/grad date

even graduates could post there and just have when they graduated or say graduated or something

it seems like i remember something like this a while ago i just think it would be a good idea to help people out if they have a question about a particular school.

1) I am thinking of putting a sticky here directing pre-pharm advising/choice fo school questions to pre pharmacy. I don't think people understand the difference between the two forums, because we don't really spell it out anywhere.

I always move things based on the original intent of this forum, which was to give pharm students a place to escape the endless flow of advising questions. Personally if it's related to school choice, I put it in pre-pharm. But if a student is accepted and asking questions about their new school, I leave it in pharm. Is everyone okay with this system? I had midterms this week, BTW and ended up moving some things in an untimely fashion.

2) Also, I want to encourage people to report troll or bad posts instead of just leaving them to the mods to randomly find. Does anyone have any ideas on how to promote this? Some people are really good at letting us know when they see things. But others are complaining about lack of enforcement of policy after never reporting anything. I think user feedback is really vital because it allows us to take action without us having to worry about being capricious. And, it lets us know which things really bother people and need to be taken care of.

3) When Lee is done with server upgrades I am going to request the PCAT sub-forum again. I'm not exactly sure of his timeline.

4) I talked to Brill briefly yesterday. For those of you who have been around awhile, I thought you'd like to know that he is still around and will be able to visit more when his schedule is less insane.

bananaface said:
What do you all think of renaming this area to "Pharmacy" instead of "Pharmacy Students", so that the practitioners are not excluded by the title?
fine

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=208137

I just split the pharmacy student relevant portion of the FAQ off and brought it over here. Can you think of more questions/areas to add? Does anyone else have blogs I can add in links to? Any help or feedback is appreciated :)

It's still in rough forum. :)

bananaface said:
Any recent thoughts?

Well the "chances" at my school were 60 (spots) out of 1125 (apps)...and you've probably never even heard of it. seems pretty pointless to move pre-pharmacy posts here... everyone in a pharmacy school needs to thank their lucky stars, it's only getting worse. If you're not at least a 3.6 with 90th% or higher you probably shouldn't even bother. I've actually heard a couple people (professors and committee chairs) recommend applying to medical school if pharmacy won't take you.

Hi Everyone

I live and work in England. I have been a qualified pharmacist for over 12 years, and during that time I have worked in industry, retail and hospital pharmacy.

At the moment I am a self employed locum pharmacist, covering for people's days off, stores with no pharmacist at, etc

If anyone's interested I'd like to get to know the differences and similarities between USA and UK pharmacy. There is quite a lot going on politically here in pharmacy, and I was wondering if you have the same issues and problems with the job that we do.

I can easily put details later, if anyone is interested.

So thanks for taking the time to read this, and I hope it finds you all well.

UK_Apothecary

:)

Got something for ya,
In the dark blue tabs at the top of the page below the SDN logo when you click pharmacy and then forums it takes you to some doctor forums. Mind getting that fixed?
DR

Dr. Banana :love: ,

Just wonder if you can have another forum for people to form a study group...to study for the board exam, NAPLEX, California board law portion, etc...'cuz i am trying to form a small group to study for the NAPLEX this June....Thanks.

Could we have a sticky to discuss the ins and outs of clinical pharmacy? it seems to come up over and over and over again! Not that people read stickies all the time but they read them more than they search.