Discussions about research during residency interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

echod

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the people that have had experience interviewing for residencies, how in depth were the discussions about your thesis research at the interviews? How many times were you asked the in depth questions that paper reviewers would raise? Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

For me never. I was asked questions about it but nothing in depth. No one had read my papers. However, my research was not in the field I was applying for. I think the time you will get asked hard questions is if your research matches the interviewers interests (or conflicts with their interests).

Usually didn't get asked about my research at all, never mind in great depth. They were much more interested in some of my hobbies, volunteering activities, and electives.

Members don't see this ad :)
For me, I got very detailed questions. I was even asked to give a formal 1 hr lecture at one program. Many of my interviewers were basic science researchers.

If this seems different than other responses, it's because I applied to a PSTP.

PSTP interviewee here. Almost none read my publications - one single significant exception included. 50% wanted to hear about my work, the other 50% more interested in telling you about their work. Perhaps 3 out of the 75 or so interviewers I spoke with during the interview season actually went into depth with regards to the work itself and had insightful questions.

PSTP interviewee here. Almost none read my publications - one single significant exception included. 50% wanted to hear about my work, the other 50% more interested in telling you about their work. Perhaps 3 out of the 75 or so interviewers I spoke with during the interview season actually went into depth with regards to the work itself and had insightful questions.

I don't understand this--seems extremely different than MSTP applications. If they are accepting you to a residency program akin to an MSTP (i.e. built in research time, intention to go into academic medicine), why don't they ask about your research? Is the assumption then that your PI and thesis committee have already adequately vetted you?

I was asked about my research, but I'm not sure I would call the questioning "in depth." Many people were in the same field, some with basic science labs, but none had gone so far as to read my papers or ask about the scientific nuances I struggled with at the end of my PhD.

In my epxerience, the PSTP structure was much different than MSTP, with much less at stake. PSTP is not as rigidly structured nor financially involved as MSTP. In addition, as your time is dominated by most residency programs according to ACGME guidelines, there's a lot less room for input/schedule manipulation/research time. PSTP admin can weigh in on who they want in their residency programs and fellowships and certainly help pave your way into junior faculty, but I think it plays a much smaller role in residency than in med school/grad school training, with the exception of certain specific hospital programs.