SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Disease or Disorder?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by pennybridge, May 6, 2007.

1. pennybridge

pennybridge Banned Banned

Oct 13, 2006
    I've been furiously googling this for like five minutes.

Any smartypants out there know if "officially" there's a subtle difference, or is it just a zero-sum semantics game?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. The traditional difference was that diseases were caused by an outside entity (virus, bacteria, rickettsia, parasite, etc) that could be spread from one individual of a population to the next. Disorders were defined as having arose from a source that was either something wrong with the processes of the individual's body (atherosclerosis, diabetes, etc) or that was due to an non-contagious outside source (toxins, etc). At least that was the way it was explained to me in an epidemiology course.

4. pennybridge

Oct 13, 2006
    wouldn't that just make it an "infectious disease?" And what about "heart disease" or "liver disease"...

the only time I remember being taught a distinction was in a human genetics class, but go figure I've forgotten it.

the best distinction I have found is a "disease" is something that we can pinpoint a "cause" for, versus a "disorder" which has no known and/or identifiable cause. Like "heart disease" versus "an eating disorder"

that makes sense I guess, but then what is the difference if any between a "genetic disorder" and a "genetic disease" if we even use the term "genetic disease"

gahd this is driving me nuts. damn you, english language!

5. Critical Mass

Critical Mass Guest

Feb 23, 2007
    So is alcoholism a disease or a disorder?

If you don't know the difference between a disease and a disorder, do you have a condition that is secondary to a syndrome?

I think that I need a procedure...

Are cheerleaders considered athletes? When does life begin anyway?

6. pennybridge

Oct 13, 2006
    (stares blankly at avatar)

....I'm sorry, what?

7. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Banned Banned 10+ Year Member

Feb 4, 2000
    In the medical world you will sometimes see these terms used interchangably. There are exact definitions and there is overlap among them.

A disease can cause a disorder...and a disorder can put you at risk for diseases. Some people develop syndromes that are a conglomerate of diseases, disorders or both.

Medical terminology is constantly changing.

Just say what your attendings say and you will be fine.

8. Critical Mass

Critical Mass Guest

Feb 23, 2007
    :thumbup: Do what they say, not what they do.

9. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Banned Banned 10+ Year Member

Feb 4, 2000
    Absolutely.

10. pennybridge

Oct 13, 2006
    what about doing who they do? Can we do that?