Disease or Disorder?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pennybridge

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been furiously googling this for like five minutes.

Any smartypants out there know if "officially" there's a subtle difference, or is it just a zero-sum semantics game?

Members don't see this ad.

The traditional difference was that diseases were caused by an outside entity (virus, bacteria, rickettsia, parasite, etc) that could be spread from one individual of a population to the next. Disorders were defined as having arose from a source that was either something wrong with the processes of the individual's body (atherosclerosis, diabetes, etc) or that was due to an non-contagious outside source (toxins, etc). At least that was the way it was explained to me in an epidemiology course.

The traditional difference was that diseases were caused by an outside entity (virus, bacteria, rickettsia, parasite, etc) that could be spread from one individual of a population to the next.

wouldn't that just make it an "infectious disease?" And what about "heart disease" or "liver disease"...

Disorders were defined as having arose from a source that was either something wrong with the processes of the individual's body (atherosclerosis, diabetes, etc) or that was due to an non-contagious outside source (toxins, etc). At least that was the way it was explained to me in an epidemiology course.

the only time I remember being taught a distinction was in a human genetics class, but go figure I've forgotten it.

the best distinction I have found is a "disease" is something that we can pinpoint a "cause" for, versus a "disorder" which has no known and/or identifiable cause. Like "heart disease" versus "an eating disorder"

that makes sense I guess, but then what is the difference if any between a "genetic disorder" and a "genetic disease" if we even use the term "genetic disease"

gahd this is driving me nuts. damn you, english language!

Members don't see this ad :)
So is alcoholism a disease or a disorder?

If you don't know the difference between a disease and a disorder, do you have a condition that is secondary to a syndrome?

I think that I need a procedure...

Are cheerleaders considered athletes? When does life begin anyway?

So is alcoholism a disease or a disorder?

If you don't know the difference between a disease and a disorder, do you have a condition that is secondary to a syndrome?

I think that I need a procedure...

Are cheerleaders considered athletes? When does life begin anyway?

(stares blankly at avatar)

....I'm sorry, what?

In the medical world you will sometimes see these terms used interchangably. There are exact definitions and there is overlap among them.

A disease can cause a disorder...and a disorder can put you at risk for diseases. Some people develop syndromes that are a conglomerate of diseases, disorders or both.

Medical terminology is constantly changing.

Just say what your attendings say and you will be fine.

what about doing who they do? Can we do that?