Disgusted with dental profession

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jaypea65

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is not to discourage anyone..... I have a really good friend that is a dentist. He always complains that he hates his job. I look at him and tell him that he is lucky to be in his position and that I envy him. I often tell him that working for someone else really sucks...try it sometime. He is his own boss, works mon-thur, no holidays, makes an awesome salary, rarely gets called in after hours, takes vacation when he wants, and purchases whatever he wants. He claims that working with the public is the worst part of the job and working in such a small area and with small materials drives him nuts. He once let me watch a root canal that he was performing on me. He asked, Do you see how small these files are? This is why I am nuts. Funny thing is that he is an excellent dentist and a perfectionist. I would'nt even think of letting anyone else touch my chompers. He performs high quality work. It's funny how you think of a grad career as being your dream fulfilled with that fat paycheck, but I guess when you break it down, it is still is just a job for some. I guess the lesson is do not do something for money alone. Do it because you have a passion for it and your career will last longer.

Members don't see this ad.

This is not to discourage anyone..... I have a really good friend that is a dentist. He always complains that he hates his job. I look at him and tell him that he is lucky to be in his position and that I envy him. I often tell him that working for someone else really sucks...try it sometime. He is his own boss, works mon-thur, no holidays, makes an awesome salary, rarely gets called in after hours, takes vacation when he wants, and purchases whatever he wants. He claims that working with the public is the worst part of the job and working in such a small area and with small materials drives him nuts. He once let me watch a root canal that he was performing on me. He asked, Do you see how small these files are? This is why I am nuts. Funny thing is that he is an excellent dentist and a perfectionist. I would'nt even think of letting anyone else touch my chompers. He performs high quality work. It's funny how you think of a grad career as being your dream fulfilled with that fat paycheck, but I guess when you break it down, it is still is just a job for some. I guess the lesson is do not do something for money alone. Do it because you have a passion for it and your career will last longer.

Wow...that's intense! I totally agree that you should do what you love and it shouldn't be about the $$. Well thank goodness he's a good dentist at least, but it doesn't seem like his heart is in it!
LD

Wow...that's intense! I totally agree that you should do what you love and it shouldn't be about the $$. Well thank goodness he's a good dentist at least, but it doesn't seem like his heart is in it!
LD

do it to pay the mortgage.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is really know way to know how passionate you are about it yet.

It is a risk. We all may hate it!

You'll hear this from a few dentists. Remember that these are UNHAPPY people who did not make the right decision about their job. There are so many thrilled dentists out there, and if you go to conferences or reuinions or the like, you'll see that the field did very well for most of the people there (low burn-out, great family lives, comfortable living situations, satisfaction with the fun and challenge of their career, etc.)

There are some in every profession who are miserable....just like everyone has foods they hate or movies they love. Take it all in perspective and listen to what they don't like...may save you a headache or two later on.

so then is there any truth behind the whole "dentists have the highest suicide rate" rumor? i've heard that on more than one occasion.

Along the same lines, what do you think about the high rate of suicidal dentists in this country? If dentists are really as happy as we think they are, why so much suicide and even just hate of their job? I personal don't know any denist really well, but the one I shadowed a while ago wasn't passionate about his job. But he is no the suicidal type either.
I think most of us wanted to be a dentist for different reasons, but at the end we all want to be happy. So, from your experiences share the level of happiness of the dentists you shadowed, or ones you know very well.

OK, I shadowed 11 dentists: general and surgery. All seemed to love their jobs except maybe two. Those two didn't say either way if they liked it or not. They seemed like the type of people that wouldn't look happy doing anything. The rest were entheusiastic. One dentist did bring up the suicide rate, and also added divorce rate, alcoholism rate and depression, and said dentists don't make as much as one might think. He said you have to be a little crazy to want to be a dentist. But his son is also a dentist in his practice--obviously he encourages his own son in the profession. And they both clearly love their work. I think he was trying to say that if you love it, you'll be just fine, and if you don't, or if you're doing it just for money then you're in trouble. (Interestingly every single hygeinist loved their job.) One of the destists was awesome. His eyes lit up when he talked about drilling and puss. He said he just loves it. He actually is specializing now though in ortho.

Many people that are disgusted with the dental profession are working at dental schools as faculty, seemingly contrite to live and breath as curmudgeons of self-hate. This is unfortunate, but true. The best advice is to be prepared as possible for dental school both academically and clinically and avoid any contact with someone who only works to discourage you and others.

Along the same lines, what do you think about the high rate of suicidal dentists in this country? If dentists are really as happy as we think they are, why so much suicide and even just hate of their job?

Dentists don't have any higher suicide rate than anybody else. There isn't any data to prove otherwise.

As far as dislike of job, I'd venture to say that many (perhaps even most in some fields) dislike their jobs. There isn't anything special about being a healthcare professional. Especially these days, where paperwork and poor reimbursement enter into the equation.

Life is life. Going to school for 8 years doesn't prevent you from having the same feelings towards your job as the guy down the street does about being a computer programmer, or a garbage man, or a UPS driver.

Members don't see this ad :)
Many people that are disgusted with the dental profession are working at dental schools as faculty, seemingly contrite to live and breath as curmudgeons of self-hate. This is unfortunate, but true. The best advice is to be prepared as possible for dental school both academically and clinically and avoid any contact with someone who only works to discourage you and others.

This is very true. You will have some AMAZING professors who love to teach and others who find themselves there because they got burnt out as clinicians (not leaving room for very patient educators.) I haven't seen too many in the middle ;)

How long has your friend been a dentist? I think with any job there is that period where you hate what you are doing. But you get over it in a couple months. Could be a temporary thing. Also doesnt D-school teach you how to over come these problems of working in a confined space??

To the OP: He has a poor attitude. He should realize that he has a sweet job, is basically stuck with it for 20-40 years, and he should just be happy.

People who live the "grass is greener on the other side" mentality usually get run over by the lawnmower. (i just totally made that up...)

People who live the "grass is greener on the other side" mentality usually get run over by the lawnmower. (i just totally made that up...)

THAT was good:thumbup:

Is that really true? I've heard it from people a bunch of times.

I was saying it so armorshell would follow through with his promise...:D

We learned in our Behavioral Science class a week ago that compared to the OVERALL population dentists are slighly higher as far as suicide rate goes. As compared to OTHER professions, then no, it is not the highest. Back in the 80's a really crappy 'survey research' study was done (ie., no scientific method) and it got a lot of press.

I was saying it so armorshell would follow through with his promise...:D

We learned in our Behavioral Science class a week ago that compared to the OVERALL population dentists are slighly higher as far as suicide rate goes. As compared to OTHER professions, then no, it is not the highest. Back in the 80's a really crappy 'survey research' study was done (ie., no scientific method) and it got a lot of press.

LOL I know man, I was just playing it up a little more.

Also doesnt D-school teach you how to over come these problems of working in a confined space??

If you talk to a miserable dentist, I doubt this will be the first problem to come to his/her mind...;)

Funny thing is that he is an excellent dentist and a perfectionist. I would'nt even think of letting anyone else touch my chompers. He performs high quality work.

you have absolutely no idea how quality this guys work is. dumbest post/comment ever.

if i become a dentist, will i become suicidal?
:laugh: :laugh: wheeew
I knew someone would ask that question sooner or later. That comment seems very funny, may be its because I have been studying for the past 7 hours. :eek:

I think this is true for every profession, not just dentistry... ask any physician, lawyer, investment banker, etc... they all say there are some flaws with their profession. the thing is you can't have everything in life... dentistry provides some things that no other profession can accomodate.. yet, you must realize that it's not a perfect profession either... it's really a matter of knowing your values and choosing a profession that suits your interests and talents, which can make you satisfied with your career. personally, I would be grateful to be in this profession because dentistry is both professional and personally rewarding despite its inherent faws.

-Dentalist