Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
#1 I can't remember the last patient that I couldn't treat exactly the way that I wanted to treat because of financial issues. Granted it helps to be in a specialty and area with an essentially single payer healthcare system, but 30%? I'd like to see some data on that before throwing around a huge number like that. I mean every once in a while some insurance won't let me put someone on Eliquis, but it isn't like we don't have other options.
I'm in a little different boat being in mental health. I haven't really had a problem doing the type of psychiatry I need to do in the office, but where the financial problems start to come in is getting patients the ancillary services they need. State cuts have been BRUTAL to those with severe mental illnesses in my state. I can only do so much in my office, and inpatient isn't a long-term solution to anything. The gap between the two types of services is massive for those who aren't of means.
I'd love to have the resources that Massachusetts has for community mental health...just without all the Massholes and those horrible accents.