Dismissed Caribbean

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Let's not forget that the OP already started a medical school and was dismissed. Most of the schools I applied to (and I just checked) have it written on their website that if you already started medical school or were dismissed from another medical school, you cannot apply there.

You are going to have to research every school intensely to find the ones that don't restrict that ability. But even then you will have a hard time with the huge red flags on your application and your past.

Members don't see this ad.

OP,
I am very sympathetic to your story because it is eerily similar to mine. However, my story happened while I was in a grad program in an entirely different profession, and did not affect my uGPA or sGPA. I'm sure adcomms see my 2.x GPA (still considered "in good academic standing," believe it or not) from my grad program (from which I took a medical leave of absence), and while they understand it's an anomaly, they've got thousands of perfect applicants to choose from. I've been accepted to 3 MD schools in the US, so I'm not complaining. I'm just laying my cards on the table. I'm not here to chance you. Hopefully this is informative.

Good luck.

OP,
I am very sympathetic to your story because it is eerily similar to mine. However, my story happened while I was in a grad program in an entirely different profession, and did not affect my uGPA or sGPA. I'm sure adcomms see my 2.x GPA (still considered "in good academic standing," believe it or not) from my grad program (from which I took a medical leave of absence), and while they understand it's an anomaly, they've got thousands of perfect applicants to choose from. I've been accepted to 3 MD schools in the US, so I'm not complaining. I'm just laying my cards on the table. I'm not here to chance you. Hopefully this is informative.

Good luck.

Your cards are irrelevant and are giving false hope here. That was a GRAD PROGRAM, not an MD program. That makes a whole lot of a difference, and, in this case, cripples the OP's chances.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your cards are irrelevant and are giving false hope here. That was a GRAD PROGRAM, not an MD program. That makes a whole lot of a difference, and, in this case, cripples the OP's chances.

I'm just adding my two cents. I was pretty clear about making the important distinctions--grad program, didnt affect GPAs that matter to med schools, LOA, etc. Chill out. If the OP reads my post as false hope, that's his prerogative.

Sure, there could be a scenario where the OP could perhaps catch a break in a non-SMP situation, but definitely so soon after the dismissal is simply impossible. At the very least 4-5 years time has to transgress with other merits before applying.
Upon giving it some thought, I retract the idea that 5 years time might catch you some slack. I do, however, still think if an osteopathic SMP gave you admissions, you might be able to catch a break at that specific school if you get to know the faculty really well.

Not to sound overly harsh, but I'd say the reason for dismissal doesn't save the OP. Life happens while you are med school. You aren't justified to fail because you are dealing with family health issues. You find a way to take off time if you need it, seek counseling if you need it, but to just fail because of too much going on doesn't inspire confidence in your ability to handle things as a physician. Hundreds of med students deal with death and divorce in med school. They are still expected to pass unless they take a semester off. At the end, it's the patients who suffer if their doctor can't juggle life and school/work issues. No school is looking for applicants who say I recently failed out but I've learned my lesson. That something you can maybe argue a decade from now, but without a long, clean track record to show things are different, I'd say not a realistic sell. Sure, there's always a "little hope". Much like there might be every time you buy power ball ticket. Still not the kind of thing I'd invest much time and money into.
agree with this. I too have known people who have had terrible things happen such as a parent's death, personal illness, etc, and they still managed to not fail out of school. adcoms want to admit students who can deal with life's challenges, this is why so many secondary essays will ask you to discuss a challenge or adversity and what coping methods you used to deal with it