MD Dismissed from Medical School after 2nd year - Any recommendations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ketobutyrate

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was academically dismissed last year due to not taking the Step 1 by the deadline (1 year of my original Step 1 period).

I performed well during my first two medical school years (3.7 GPA). Around when COVID started, my grandfather collapsed, and my resuscitation attempts were unsuccessful. This took a HUGE toll on my mental health and led me to a pretty bad state which made me question my competency as a future physician. I asked for an extended study period (1 year) for the Step 1, which was granted. Around two months before my extended deadline, my fiancé suffered a miscarriage, and shortly after, we broke up. This worsened my mental health, and I failed to take the Step 1 by the deadline, which translated to an academic dismissal (they gave me a choice to leave with a withdrawal in my record if I DIN'T appeal the committee's decision). I appealed, and it was not successful.

One year later, here I'm in a much better place. I love medicine and would give everything to return to medical school, but I recognize that having an academic dismissal on my record is a death sentence for my MD career. I have been contacting a few other schools to see if there is any possibility of transferring my credits and working something out. Still, I recognize the chances of this working are incredibly close to 0. I'm not considering Caribbean schools since this would increase my debt substantially, and the chances of matching would be low.

Given my circumstances, I would love to hear opinions on what other clinical careers are viable with a decent salary (100k+). Any advice from fellow medical students and faculty are welcomed as well and appreciated.

Thanks a ton.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
You have a great story. I've never had anything to do with admissions, but if I were on an ADCOM then you are exactly the kind of applicant I'd want to admit. Being intimately familiar with mental health struggles myself, I can tell that you walked through the burning coals. Your feet are scarred but they are stronger than ever, along with your resolve. I would keep selling your story. I am in Intensivist, and if I had a dime for every patient I performed ACLS on that I could not resuscitate, then I'd be able to retire already.

Regardless, you will find success in life whether it is as a physician or as something else. I personally do not think that medicine in its current state is a good career choice, but if that is the only job for you, then carry on.

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
I don't have any advice to give but instead just want to offer support. I lost my grandmother this year as well, and I can attest to the significant burden sadness becomes when you are trying to perform well in school. I knew I would be sad, but the wave of emotion that hit me so strongly was unexpected, and I struggled to learn anything during that timeframe. She was a key figure in my life, and losing her was more than I ever wanted to handle.

Add on to that a miscarriage and loss of a relationship - and you have to be one of the strongest and most resilient people out there.

I'm not sure this applies to you, and I certainly don't want to encourage a different career path if medicine is still your calling - but I have often considered that if I didn't do medical school I would enjoy psychology. Still an opportunity to diagnose and heal those who are hurting.

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m sorry to hear this. I would imagine DO would be the best chance.

Given my circumstances, I would love to hear opinions on what other clinical careers are viable with a decent salary (100k+). Any advice from fellow medical students and faculty are welcomed as well and appreciated.
Literally almost any career pays that nowadays. Police officers/civil servants in big cities make like 150k. The fact is that 100k is new 50k in that a lot of entry level jobs pay in that ballpark. Healthcare consultants, insurance agents, pharmaceutical associates. You name it. If physician salaries went up in proportion to other jobs, the median salary would be like 550-600k for all specialties

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Hi, I was academically dismissed last year due to not taking the Step 1 by the deadline (1 year of my original Step 1 period).

I performed well during my first two medical school years (3.7 GPA). Around when COVID started, my grandfather collapsed, and my resuscitation attempts were unsuccessful. This took a HUGE toll on my mental health and led me to a pretty bad state which made me question my competency as a future physician. I asked for an extended study period (1 year) for the Step 1, which was granted. Around two months before my extended deadline, my fiancé suffered a miscarriage, and shortly after, we broke up. This worsened my mental health, and I failed to take the Step 1 by the deadline, which translated to an academic dismissal (they gave me a choice to leave with a withdrawal in my record if I DIN'T appeal the committee's decision). I appealed, and it was not successful.

One year later, here I'm in a much better place. I love medicine and would give everything to return to medical school, but I recognize that having an academic dismissal on my record is a death sentence for my MD career. I have been contacting a few other schools to see if there is any possibility of transferring my credits and working something out. Still, I recognize the chances of this working are incredibly close to 0. I'm not considering Caribbean schools since this would increase my debt substantially, and the chances of matching would be low.

Thanks a ton.
Very sorry to hear this OP, but at my school, you'd not be a viabale candidate.

It's not your academics that worry me, it's your coping skills, and mental health issues.. One of the important things medical students need to master is the ability to compartmentalize.

Reactions: 3 users
I have been contacting a few other schools to see if there is any possibility of transferring my credits and working something out. Still, I recognize the chances of this working are incredibly close to 0.
There is virtually no chance that any school will take transferred credits from your prior medical education, and it's not something that's even worth discussing with admission officers. The real question is, would you be willing to do the first two years of medical school over again? It's possible that a US MD or DO school would be willing to consider you given the extenuating circumstances you describe in your post.

Viable non-MD/DO clinical careers that make six figures (off the top of my head): physician assistant, podiatry, dentistry, optometry, pharmacy, anesthesiology assistant, cardiopulmonary perfusionist.

Reactions: 4 users
I think your best bet would be to approach your old school about giving you another chance. Now that time has passed and you’re in a better place, they might be open to it. Maybe you could repeat 1-2 of the first years or find some other way to demonstrate that things are different.

I think that’s going to be the key and may not be possible: proving you won’t have the same issues the next time something bad happens? You describe two events and presumably had an entire year between them to get that exam done. I’m not sure what anyone does with 12 months of step prep, especially coming off a strong pre clinical performance. The engagement breakup and being unable to sit step 1 2 months later makes sense; it’s the 10 months before that that puzzle me.

If your record was otherwise really solid, they might be open to it. Worst case they say no so you have nothing to lose by approaching people. Assuming everything here is accurate, it does sound like a perfect storm of badness so you might find some sympathy.

• Love
Tough situation, sorry you had to go through it, but glad you’re in a better place now.

Although it’s not glamorous from our side, if you’re asking about six-figure jobs without a medical degree, pharmaceutical sales rep or medical device sales tends to be minimum six figures with a bachelors. That’s the only thing I can think of without additional training, for example, taking coding classes and switching to a tech field. If you have a good personality, getting into a sales position has the potential to turn into a six figure career.

Reactions: 1 users
You have a great story. I've never had anything to do with admissions, but if I were on an ADCOM then you are exactly the kind of applicant I'd want to admit. Being intimately familiar with mental health struggles myself, I can tell that you walked through the burning coals. Your feet are scarred but they are stronger than ever, along with your resolve. I would keep selling your story. I am in Intensivist, and if I had a dime for every patient I performed ACLS on that I could not resuscitate, then I'd be able to retire already.

Regardless, you will find success in life whether it is as a physician or as something else. I personally do not think that medicine in its current state is a good career choice, but if that is the only job for you, then carry on.
I don't have any advice to give but instead just want to offer support. I lost my grandmother this year as well, and I can attest to the significant burden sadness becomes when you are trying to perform well in school. I knew I would be sad, but the wave of emotion that hit me so strongly was unexpected, and I struggled to learn anything during that timeframe. She was a key figure in my life, and losing her was more than I ever wanted to handle.

Add on to that a miscarriage and loss of a relationship - and you have to be one of the strongest and most resilient people out there.

I'm not sure this applies to you, and I certainly don't want to encourage a different career path if medicine is still your calling - but I have often considered that if I didn't do medical school I would enjoy psychology. Still an opportunity to diagnose and heal those who are hurting.

Thank you both for those kind words. I deeply appreciate these messages.
What about DO schools?

I'm open to it. Will contact a few and see if they have any strong opinions about this.

I’m sorry to hear this. I would imagine DO would be the best chance.

Literally almost any career pays that nowadays. Police officers/civil servants in big cities make like 150k. The fact is that 100k is new 50k in that a lot of entry level jobs pay in that ballpark. Healthcare consultants, insurance agents, pharmaceutical associates. You name it. If physician salaries went up in proportion to other jobs, the median salary would be like 550-600k for all specialties

Thanks a ton for sharing this. Will take a look at those options.
Very sorry to hear this OP, but at my school, you'd not be a viabale candidate.

It's not your academics that worry me, it's your coping skills, and mental health issues.. One of the important things medical students need to master is the ability to compartmentalize.

That is understandable, and thank you for your insight Goro. I have been reading your posts since I was premed. I wish I would have met with you under better circumstances, lol
There is virtually no chance that any school will take transferred credits from your prior medical education, and it's not something that's even worth discussing with admission officers. The real question is, would you be willing to do the first two years of medical school over again? It's possible that a US MD or DO school would be willing to consider you given the extenuating circumstances you describe in your post.

Viable non-MD/DO clinical careers that make six figures (off the top of my head): physician assistant, podiatry, dentistry, optometry, pharmacy, anesthesiology assistant, cardiopulmonary perfusionist.

Thank you for confirming what I suspected. Yes, I would be willing to do them again without hesitation.

I think your best bet would be to approach your old school about giving you another chance. Now that time has passed and you’re in a better place, they might be open to it. Maybe you could repeat 1-2 of the first years or find some other way to demonstrate that things are different.

I think that’s going to be the key and may not be possible: proving you won’t have the same issues the next time something bad happens? You describe two events and presumably had an entire year between them to get that exam done. I’m not sure what anyone does with 12 months of step prep, especially coming off a strong pre clinical performance. The engagement breakup and being unable to sit step 1 2 months later makes sense; it’s the 10 months before that that puzzle me.

If your record was otherwise really solid, they might be open to it. Worst case they say no so you have nothing to lose by approaching people. Assuming everything here is accurate, it does sound like a perfect storm of badness so you might find some sympathy.

My clinical evaluations were solid, and my GPA was 4.0 until COVID/Grandpa resuscitation situation happened. I was on track for the AOA.

Looking back, I like to believe I would have dealt with these situations if the school had remained open, had my support system in place, etc. Instead, I became extremely isolated during the lockdown period, which led to continuous bad decisions during those ten months. My fault and one I regret every time I wake up.

I explained these situations to them during our first and appeal meetings. But, unfortunately, they were pretty strict both times. I remember my school's neurosurgery residency program losing its accreditation and some significant admin changes during that period. I wonder if this created a much stricter environment.

Thank you for your advice.

Tough situation, sorry you had to go through it, but glad you’re in a better place now.

Although it’s not glamorous from our side, if you’re asking about six-figure jobs without a medical degree, pharmaceutical sales rep or medical device sales tends to be minimum six figures with a bachelors. That’s the only thing I can think of without additional training, for example, taking coding classes and switching to a tech field. If you have a good personality, getting into a sales position has the potential to turn into a six figure career.

Thanks a lot and I will look into it.

Puzzling but quite common. About 75% of the students I have seen take an extra year for Step 1 end up pushing it to the absolute last minute.

Agreed. Most of the people that took extra time kept pushing the examination dates.

My clinical evaluations were solid, and my GPA was 4.0 until COVID/Grandpa resuscitation situation happened. I was on track for the AOA.

Looking back, I like to believe I would have dealt with these situations if the school had remained open, had my support system in place, etc. Instead, I became extremely isolated during the lockdown period, which led to continuous bad decisions during those ten months. My fault and one I regret every time I wake up.

I explained these situations to them during our first and appeal meetings. But, unfortunately, they were pretty strict both times. I remember my school's neurosurgery residency program losing its accreditation and some significant admin changes during that period. I wonder if this created a much stricter environment.

Thank you for your advice.

Thanks a lot and I will look into it.

Agreed. Most of the people that took extra time kept pushing the examination dates.
Much of the strictness Is to limit future liability. If an exception is made for one person and then not for someone else, and if those two people happen to differ by a federally protected metric, then the school would have to convince a court why they weren’t treated equally.

I suspect that they won’t budge on the step 1 deadline being missed. They gave a firm deadline by which you had to pass a critical exam, you missed it, basta cosi.

I think you may have a shot of asking if you can start over. Essentially you would be applying for admission again. That’s not really asking them to bend any rules for you so you might have a shot. You clearly had the chops to handle the work up until the world fell apart. You have learned a valuable yet expensive lesson. You could include things you’ve done to ensure future success such as improved support system, mental health care, etc. Frame it as a strong student poised to do great things whose world fell apart at the worst possible time. You’ve picked yourself up, grown and become stronger, and want a second chance to prove yourself. Someone’s entire future shouldn’t hinge on one bad year. Of course it does sometimes, but I think you may be appeal to someone’s sense of fairness and convince them you’re worth another shot.

I worry about your ability to cope with school and training when it actually gets difficult. The preclinical years are by far the easiest ones where you have the least responsibility. But on the flip side, I admire people who bounce back from failure and hard times. You lost a “patient” before you had the Experience and support to process it, and at a time when no other resources were available due to lockdowns. Cost you dearly in your personal life as well. Yet you still want to push through and devote your life to serving people who are suffering.

It can be compelling. Bolster it with specifics about how you will avoid those pitfalls again, be humble, and maybe with a little luck you’ll find a merciful ear.

• Love