Dismissed from PT Program with only 2 months left to graduate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Snowzzey

Reaction score
Hello,

I was a PT Student who finished all academic courses (GPA 3.3) and was on their last clinical rotation with only 2 months left to graduate. Unfortunately, I failed my last clinical rotation, unable to meet passing requirements and was dismissed from the program. I have tried appealing (without a lawyer) but was unsuccessful. After coming so far, I am unwilling to start from scratch with all the investment, time, and effort I have already put in it. Now, I am lost, overcame severe depression, and I don't know what to do with life and I have no career options. I even got recently married because my future was looking bright. I have considered going a PTA route but I dont know of any programs that allow me to transfer my courses. I also emailed a few PT programs if I could transfer my courses to their programs and so far, they say I have to start from scratch. I was wondering if any of you guys have any career options for me (considering that almost my entire resume/CV is physical therapy based).

I have lost everything, so any advice on career options would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

I would get a lawyer and argue your best case back to the school that you nearly completed.

Reactions: 3 users
how did you fail your last rotation, like specifically what was the deficit

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I was a PT Student who finished all academic courses (GPA 3.3) and was on their last clinical rotation with only 2 months left to graduate. Unfortunately, I failed my last clinical rotation, unable to meet passing requirements and was dismissed from the program. I have tried appealing (without a lawyer) but was unsuccessful. After coming so far, I am unwilling to start from scratch with all the investment, time, and effort I have already put in it. Now, I am lost, overcame severe depression, and I don't know what to do with life and I have no career options. I even got recently married because my future was looking bright. I have considered going a PTA route but I dont know of any programs that allow me to transfer my courses. I also emailed a few PT programs if I could transfer my courses to their programs and so far, they say I have to start from scratch. I was wondering if any of you guys have any career options for me (considering that almost my entire resume/CV is physical therapy based).

I have lost everything, so any advice on career options would be great.
Outright dismissed, versus being rolled back a year/term? I am almost positive my school rolls you back a year before outright dismissal (pending GPA and circumstances). What happened? I feel like I would engage a lawyer to sort this out, but if there is more to the story and readmittance will not be an option...

From what I understand, transferring credits in a doctoral program is extremely tedious and almost impossible. They want the credits to be taught in the same sequence and even sequence within the class itself - someone I know had researched it and this is what she found, so I am just repeating what she told me. I do not know if other schools have different policies but typically a school wants at least half the credits toward a degree to have come from them.

As far as career options.....depends on where your interests are. Massage therapy? Personal training? Strength & conditioning? Exercise physiologist? I know these require further schooling/qualifications, but they wouldn't be nearly as time-consuming and expensive as DPT school.

I would get a lawyer and argue your best case back to the school that you nearly completed.
Agreed with the above! Definitely will be cheaper than paying to start over.
Sounds horrible what your school did to you! Unless you did something really unethical, extremely dangerous, or committed a crime during your internship.
Something to look into if nothing works out: some states allow you to take NPTAE tests without graduating from PTA school. You should have more than enough credits to get qualified for that, I believe.

Reactions: 1 user