Dismissed from US MD school, can I get into a new DO or carribbean school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted975371

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude, you will have to disclose this stuff to schools so it really depends on the extent of what you did. Clearly if you were dismissed from a med school of any kind you must have really messed up. What did you do exactly? If it was academic misconduct or any kind forget about it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It seems like you messed up, the school gave you another chance, but you messed up again. Clearly, there is an issue.

IMO, your chances in the US schools are over. I wouldn't tell anyone to apply to those Caribbean schools, but I'm sure anyone who can pay their tuition can get an acceptance. Or, you can think of your dismissals as a sign and find another career path away from medicine.

Sorry if this thread belongs in a different section of the forum. Long story short, I was dismissed from a US MD school for professionalism issues a few months ago. I was an idiot, there is no other way to put it. I was wondering if I had a decent shot at being accepted into a newer DO school or a big four Caribbean school? Or if it's pretty much over outside of the "bad" Caribbean schools that no one matches from? Academics was never an issue while I was in medical school. And say I do get in, to what extent will this professionalism issue affect my ability to get licensed?

3.3 sGPA, 3.3 overall GPA, Need to retake MCAT. Loads of clinical and volunteering experience and good previous rec letters (which is how I got in the first time).

Thank you for the responses.
With your GPA and a history of dismissal after your school tried in vain to save you from yourself, I think you're done in the US. If you went to one of the Caribbean Big Four and graduated with no further problems, I think your dismissal from a US MD school would still make it all but impossible to land a US residency spot. My advice is to cut your losses and pursue a career in another field. @Goro, what do you think?

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Sorry if this thread belongs in a different section of the forum. Long story short, I was dismissed from a US MD school for professionalism issues a few months ago. I was an idiot, there is no other way to put it. I was wondering if I had a decent shot at being accepted into a newer DO school or a big four Caribbean school? Or if it's pretty much over outside of the "bad" Caribbean schools that no one matches from? Academics was never an issue while I was in medical school. And say I do get in, to what extent will this professionalism issue affect my ability to get licensed?

3.3 sGPA, 3.3 overall GPA, Need to retake MCAT. Loads of clinical and volunteering experience and good previous rec letters (which is how I got in the first time).

Thank you for the responses.
Sorry Blue, but DO schools don't look the other way with issues like yours.

I can't sugar coat this: Your medical career is over. Time for Plan B.

Carib schools are salivating right now at such an easy mark.

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry Blue, but DO schools don't look the other way with issues like yours.

I can't sugar coat this: Your medical career is over. Time for Plan B.

Carib schools are salivating right now at such an easy mark.

Maybe - maybe - OP might have a snowball's chance in Hell at a DO with a decade of military service and a strong SMP performance. Dismissal from an MD school's about the worst thing that you can have on an application, though, right up there with a felony conviction. Goose: cooked, resembles charcoal more than anything that was once living.

Maybe - maybe - OP might have a snowball's chance in Hell at a DO with a decade of military service and a strong SMP performance. Dismissal from an MD school's about the worst thing that you can have on an application, though, right up there with a felony conviction. Goose: cooked, resembles charcoal more than anything that was once living.
Personally Walt, I think that once one is given a chance at med school, and you blow it, then that's it.

Reactions: 3 users
Agreed: turning down an acceptance is one thing, and it's near-lethal to a person...but there have been some tales of people coming back from that near-mortal wound. I've never read about someone failing out of or dropping out of an American medical school and going on to matriculate once more: that's even worse, right up there with a felony conviction.

Please don’t despair as there is no requirement to be a physician to have a happy fulfilling life. 99.9+% of people are not physicians and 99.89% of them aren’t upset about it. Assess your strengths and desires and see where else you might fit in the world and contribute to your fellow humans.

Reactions: 12 users
Please don’t despair as there is no requirement to be a physician to have a happy fulfilling life. 99.9+% of people are not physicians and 99.89% of them aren’t upset about it. Assess your strengths and desires and see where else you might fit in the world and contribute to your fellow humans.
wise words. i concur

Are you secretly a military recruiter? Everytime i see a post like this it's the first thing you seem to bring up.... :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you secretly a military recruiter? Everytime i see a post like this it's the first thing you seem to bring up.... :p

Walter is 100% a troll. Bringing up a DECADE of military service as if it's the perfect strategy to get into medical school has got to be the most outlandish and neurotic idea I've ever seen on this website :smack:

Reactions: 4 users
Hey, LizzyM suggested it a few years back for a person with a couple of misdemeanor convictions. OP truly needs to be a god-tier applicant to have even a chance...and even then, his odds are roughly those of a snowball in Hell.

OP is done for bottom line. He should save his blood, sweat and tears. There are plenty of other fulfilling careers out there. He clearly isn’t cut out for med school.

Why are people getting so worked up over semantics? I think everyone understands what Walt is saying and I don't think pointing out the obvious--that a 0.1% chance is basically impossible--is necessary for anyone reading all this. Personally I appreciate Walt acknowledging the faint possibility while making it extremely clear that it's not even remotely likely.

Bringing up a DECADE of military service as if it's the perfect strategy to get into medical school has got to be the most outlandish and neurotic idea I've ever seen on this website

"Perfect strategy"? I think not. More like "If OP does something outlandishly impressive and selfless, they might have a very small chance at success; under other circumstances, OP is completely and totally doomed."

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Yo, go be a PA. Not because it's easier or lesser of a career, but because you really don't stand a good chance in any medical programs and being a PA is an awesome job.

I don't know if PA programs will ask if OP has been booted out of medical school or not. If not, and OP has the requisite patient contact hours, he's got a chance. Same for anesthesiologist's assistant programs.

Yo, go be a PA. Not because it's easier or lesser of a career, but because you really don't stand a good chance in any medical programs and being a PA is an awesome job.

I cannot see any professional program of any type accepting OP if OP was dismissed for professionalism issues.

If it was academic misconduct, that would further rule out any further educaion like PhD.

OP, depending on the severity of the dismissal, you could get into a big Podiatry program. Academic dismissal vs breaking codes of conduct are quite different, and with a year of good grades in a post bacc and a 500+ MCAT, I could see a large DPM school taking a chance on you.

I would assume you chances of MD and DO are over however.

I don’t know what you could have done to be dismissed but if you takes some years off, do many goods, show maturity, growth, leadership etc. would this not be a basis for a 2nd chance? It’s sad that most people are unforgiven but I refuse to believe that your career is over.

I don’t know what you could have done to be dismissed but if you takes some years off, do many goods, show maturity, growth, leadership etc. would this not be a basis for a 2nd chance? It’s sad that most people are unforgiven but I refuse to believe that your career is over.

its less about being forgiving but more that 60% of applicants don't get in every year. the competition is just tough and the margin for error low. being dismissed from a M.D program might be too much an error. if i was reviewing applications knowing that 1 out of 10 would get an interview and rest rejected it would be hard to give that one interview to the person who got dismissed from medical school. it might be different if i could give 5 interviews for every 10 applicants but with only 1; to give it just doesn't allow for this type of error when the other 9 are probably solid applicants too

If you want to do Medicine you have a good chance but have to talk about what happened previously.
You need to have strong interview skills and a personal statement! Let me know if you beed one on one

Agreed: turning down an acceptance is one thing, and it's near-lethal to a person...but there have been some tales of people coming back from that near-mortal wound. I've never read about someone failing out of or dropping out of an American medical school and going on to matriculate once more: that's even worse, right up there with a felony conviction.

I actually just saw this. Sorry that I'm about a month late.

There is actually a story on SDN about a person being dismissed from a US school (don't remember if MD or DO). He then, two(?) years later matriculated again at a US DO school, graduated, obtained and completed a residency in family medicine, and is now currently a fellow in something emergency or ICU related.

I have no idea where the thread is, and I can't remember the person's name to find it...but there are a few success stories out there.

For the record, I think OP is toast - professionalism is at the top of the totem pole when it comes to reason why you don't want to be kicked out of medical school.

Yeah. I had said before that they might have a snowball's chance in hell after a decade of military service. But it's a thousand-to-one shot, at least; OP's goose is so cooked that it is not charcoal, but ashes. Not good. If residency interviews don't ask if you've been booted out of an American medical school, the Caribbean Crapshoot might give him the best chance of becoming a doctor...but it is a huge risk.

OP, anything is possible honestly. You're probably doing yourself a disservice turning to a forum like SDN for advice on this magnitude of redemption needed. You're dealing with many people who've potentially made little to no mistakes in their journey so yours to them seems nearly insurmountable. Just make sure that you understand what you open yourself up to when you post on this kind of forum.

Some encouragement: an acquaintance of mine was dismissed for professionalism reasons during 3rd year clerkship year about 2 years ago. They successfully matriculated into a Caribbean school to complete their 3rd and 4th year and will be applying for residency this fall. Again, anything is possible- you deal with a small sample size here on SDN and no one is all knowing. The fight you have in you for your dream/goal is for YOU to determine. Although the journey may not be suitable for everyone, I am no one to say it is not right for you. I wish you much success in your endeavors whatever you choose- However, I wouldn't continue to seek validation here.

All the best!