Dismissed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Informed consent is the patient consenting to the procedure and its associated risks and benefits (as well as acknowledgement of alternatives and their risks and benefits). It has nothing to do with the ability of the operator.

Though informed consent may not be the right way to phrase what servitup was trying to say, I do agree that if a person is suffering from some learning or physical disability, they should not be certified to treat another human being ~ especially if the disability is enough to cause failures in multiple classes.

If my health and well being is at stake, I want the best treatment by the best doctor that my money can afford. This isn't McDonalds where a wrong order or slowness is acceptable.

Members don't see this ad.

Good post. I think that having a learning disability in this field is probably worse than actually having some sort of physical disability. I'm sure there are DMD's with both who do great work, but personally, if my dentist couldn't walk, but could treat me properly, he/she can still do their job. Yet, if he had trouble learning the material and wasn't 100% prepared for my treatment (no matter what the learning disability), I'd be a bit weary.