Disorderly Conduct? Perhaps Law2Doc can chime in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nycfella

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I walked out of a store and was approached by two police officers. They asked me what I was doing in the store and where I was coming from. I told them I was coming from my house and was buying some juice. They told me that my car was double parked. I said "Ok." Then one of them says "Ok?" I tell them if my car is double parked it should be given a ticket. He then gives me a summons for disorderly conduct. He says it was given at my request. I tell him that if I am in violation of a traffic law I should be given a ticket. Anyway, I have to appear in criminal court. Will this thing remain on my record? Is it a violation or a misdemeanor? Are they usually dismissed? Is an ACD the same as having it dismissed? Is it easy to get an ACD? Should I get a lawyer? Crooked cops always get on my nerves :mad:...

regards,
nycfella

Members don't see this ad.

Yesterday I walked out of a store and was approached by two police officers. They asked me what I was doing in the store and where I was coming from. I told them I was coming from my house and was buying some juice. They told me that my car was double parked. I said "Ok." Then one of them says "Ok?" I tell them if my car is double parked it should be given a ticket. He then gives me a summons for disorderly conduct. He says it was given at my request. I tell him that if I am in violation of a traffic law I should be given a ticket. Anyway, I have to appear in criminal court. Will this thing remain on my record? Is it a violation or a misdemeanor? Are they usually dismissed? Is an ACD the same as having it dismissed? Is it easy to get an ACD? Should I get a lawyer? Crooked cops always get on my nerves :mad:...

regards,
nycfella

Is that really all there was to the story? This doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Is that really all there was to the story? This doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Aside from being double parked there was nothing that I did wrong. Moreover, technically I was not the one who was double parked. I had someone else with me who parked the car. I got in to move the car. Lets see...I may have come off as rude? That's probably all I got. But I wasn't being rude. I found the questions odd. "What are you doing here?" "Where are you coming from?" "What are you doing in the store?" Why are you asking me these things? I guess he looked at me and thought I couldn't speak english? The other person I had with me was given a speeding ticket by the same officer about a month ago. Two weeks after he is given the ticket, which he tries to beat but loses, he sees the same officer in the street and the officer asks him where his car is. He says at home. The officer says that's good because he would have given him another ticket. BTW I did not know this at the time I was being given my summons. The other passenger, my brother-in-law, tells me this as we are heading home.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

regards,
nycfella

A few cops are stupid jerks and you found one.

You want to avoid a misdemeanor conviction. If you have one you will have to put it on your primary application and some of your secondaries. It is the law of the state in which this occurred that determines whether it's a misdemeanor or merely a civil offense.

To avoid a misdemeanor conviction get a lawyer who handles criminal cases. Get him/her to negotiate this down with the prosecutor to spitting on the sidewalk or some other civil violation and then pay the fine and the lawyer's bill.

After you graduate from medical school find the cop's address and send him a letter. Remind him of the incident, tell him you grew from it and finished medical school. it could never be construed as harassment but it would make that schmoe angry as hell.:)

A few cops are stupid jerks and you found one.

You want to avoid a misdemeanor conviction. If you have one you will have to put it on your primary application and some of your secondaries. It is the law of the state in which this occurred that determines whether it's a misdemeanor or merely a civil offense.

To avoid a misdemeanor conviction get a lawyer who handles criminal cases. Get him/her to negotiate this down with the prosecutor to spitting on the sidewalk or some other civil violation and then pay the fine and the lawyer's bill.

After you graduate from medical school find the cop's address and send him a letter. Remind him of the incident, tell him you grew from it and finished medical school. it could never be construed as harassment but it would make that schmoe angry as hell.:)

Yes indeed. I had a boss that was an ex-cop when I was in college. The guy was the biggest A-hole I've ever meet.

Your case sounds silly. I wouldn't see why this would be taken to the court and be held up with a conviction...but stupid crap happens every day in this world.

Get a lawyer, get this stupid thing droped, and just don't double park again.

I recall in the past it's been posted that there is a site policy against specifically naming SDN members in thread titles. You might get a faster reply if you PM the person who you'd most like a response from.

OP, if your institution has a law school, you may have access to a free legal advisory clinic.

that is ridiculous if you get a misdemeanor for saying "ok", I don't know what kind of crazy laws they have in your state but I would try to fight it if I was you. You definitely don't want anything criminal on your record when you apply. You also should look up the laws for disorderly conduct in your area and really understand them so you don't just seem like you are coming into court unprepared, maybe if you impress the judge he'll let you off.

Last edited:
I hate to say it, but usually once the ticket is writen and in your hands, you are going to get it. I would still hire a lawyer, but I don't know how much he/she can do. Police officers can be rude and write silly tickets, but they will not put their careers in a position to be questioned. The judge usually sides with the police officer. I'm just stating the facts. But, it does sound like a sad story. I don't think one misdemeanor would ruin your chance for medical school. More people have em then you think.

I hate to say it, but usually once the ticket is writen and in your hands, you are going to get it. I would still hire a lawyer, but I don't know how much he/she can do. Police officers can be rude and write silly tickets, but they will not put their careers in a position to be questioned. The judge usually sides with the police officer. I'm just stating the facts. But, it does sound like a sad story. I don't think one misdemeanor would ruin your chance for medical school. More people have em then you think.

It's not so much the ticket as the disorderly conduct charge.

I don't give out legal advice to strangers on the internet - no lawyer would. That being said, there is likely a police report you will be able to obtain to see what you allegedly did. If you mouthed off to the cops or otherwise didn't indicate you were going to move your car immediately, then there may be more substance to this case then you let on. Similarly, if the other guy with you did either of these things, there may be more to this case. Saying you did nothing but say OK in one place, but then saying you were "rude" in another does not give us a very good picture of what transpired, nor do we have a sense of what the other person said/did. I certainly see no evidence of the cop being "crooked" here, though, although maybe he overreacted. Get a lawyer, and see what s/he says. And get the police report. Giving your own self serving version on an internet board isn't going to get useful advice -- unless we know what the other side of the story is, we cannot know what kind of predicament you are in. Good luck.

The issue here is passing a background check. When a background check is done, it will show the charges, dates, etc. It won't show a description of what occured.

Status
Not open for further replies.