Disparity between ERAS Program Information and Program Website (Cat vs Adv)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cyneuron

cyneuron
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am really puzzled at this.

ERAS lists Neurology at University Hospital/Case Western University, Ohio as Advanced while Program website lists itself as Categorical.

Any suggestions as to why it may be like this, and which one is correct.

Asking as it may be applicable to other programs also.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,

I am really puzzled at this.

ERAS lists Neurology at University Hospital/Case Western University, Ohio as Advanced while Program website lists itself as Categorical.

Any suggestions as to why it may be like this, and which one is correct.

Asking as it may be applicable to other programs also.

I don't know about the specific program, but its possible that it's an advanced program that offers in house prelim spots to those who match. In general neuro is an advanced path that's going to require a medicine prelim.

I don't know about the specific program, but its possible that it's an advanced program that offers in house prelim spots to those who match. In general neuro is an advanced path that's going to require a medicine prelim.

But then it should be labelled Categorical.

As far as my understanding goes, it works like this -

1. Categorical - provides all the years of training required and you have to interview only once for that. e.g. in Neurology, all the 4 years.

2. Advanced - provides training from PGY2 year onward. e.g. in Neurology, PGY2 to PGY4, that is 3 years. So, you have to interview for this advanced seat and interview for Preliminary seat separately (at the same institution or different).

3. Preliminary - PGY1 training. e.g. in Neurology, PGY1 in Internal Medicine.

But then it should be labelled Categorical.

As far as my understanding goes, it works like this -

1. Categorical - provides all the years of training required and you have to interview only once for that. e.g. in Neurology, all the 4 years.

2. Advanced - provides training from PGY2 year onward. e.g. in Neurology, PGY2 to PGY4, that is 3 years. So, you have to interview for this advanced seat and interview for Preliminary seat separately (at the same institution or different).

3. Preliminary - PGY1 training. e.g. in Neurology, PGY1 in Internal Medicine.

Yeah but it can get murky where a program offers, but doesn't require, a built in prelim.