Disregarding Undergrad GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Docplaque

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My overall undergrad gpa is sub 3.0. In undergrad I was a double major and graduated with 220 credits. I've done a postbacc and have taken many 60 hours of upper level bio courses I've done well and maintained a 3.6 in my post-bacc but I still can't bring my undergrad GPA up to a respectable level.
Now I'm completing a masters, will this help to override my crappy undergrad grades since i've show such a drastic improvement.

Or am i simply at the mercy of the adcom:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

My overall undergrad gpa is sub 3.0. In undergrad I was a double major and graduated with 220 credits. I've done a postbacc and have taken many 60 hours of upper level bio courses I've done well and maintained a 3.6 in my post-bacc but I still can't bring my undergrad GPA up to a respectable level.
Now I'm completing a masters, will this help to override my crappy undergrad grades since i've show such a drastic improvement.

Ace the DAT. That will override it and show that you are a great candidate. With a solid post bac GPA, you should be able to get in.

It really depends on the adcoms and the schools, I have read quite a few threads about students who have sub 3.0 undergrad GPA's, apply and do very well in an SMP and also do well on their DAT's and get in, the undergrad GPA was obviously not given as much weight as the post-bach GPA.

Check out some Under 3.0 and accepted threads.

Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)

well, your numbers are against you, but the upward trend in post-bacc and masters (assuming your doing just as well as post-bacc) are heavily in your favor.

At this point, there is absolutely nothing else you can do. Your best option to getting in is to search for out-of-state friendly schools that have a history (from time to time) to look past pure numbers and look at the quality of an applicant. I know this isn't a thing you can prove, but people with your history have gotten in, and its not a rare event.

Off the top of my head, Detroit Mercy and Univ of Michigan are both out of state friendly, and have a track-record of looking past pure numbers.

Don't be nervous about your situation, your just as qualified (if not more) as the folks who get accepted each year. Fish for the right schools and you'll have multiple acceptances.

all the best

At this point, there is absolutely nothing else you can do. Your best option to getting in is to search for out-of-state friendly schools that have a history (from time to time) to look past pure numbers and look at the quality of an applicant. I know this isn't a thing you can prove, but people with your history have gotten in, and its not a rare event.

Off the top of my head, Detroit Mercy and Univ of Michigan are both out of state friendly, and have a track-record of looking past pure numbers.

If you have lots of community service i know ASDOH weighs heavily on that and looks past numbers. Western also seems to be shying that way.

You might also want to look up DocToothaches thread called "The MS advantage".... to see what schools value a Masters more than others.

It's too bad DS didn't only count the last three years of course work and the prereqs.

Good luck to you OP.

My undergrad was sub 3, and I eventually got it back up to 3.01 after 1.5 years of post bac, but it WASN'T easy.

Along with your grades, schools also look at your courseload, so it might be a good idea to take as many units per quarter/semester as you can handle. My last post bac year, I took 18-19 units of upper divis science classes and labs, as advised by several pre-dental advisors.

UberlowGPA.. (lol I like your name)

It looks like you're going to be attending UoP, congratz. I'm really interested in that school because of there three year program and the location of the school. Were there things you did other than course load that helped you get an interview at UoP? high DAT?

Thanks.

My undergrad was sub 3, and I eventually got it back up to 3.01 after 1.5 years of post bac, but it WASN'T easy.

Along with your grades, schools also look at your courseload, so it might be a good idea to take as many units per quarter/semester as you can handle. My last post bac year, I took 18-19 units of upper divis science classes and labs, as advised by several pre-dental advisors.

WOW! that's a lot mine were only between 13-17 hours! Kudos to you!:D

UberlowGPA.. (lol I like your name)

It looks like you're going to be attending UoP, congratz. I'm really interested in that school because of there three year program and the location of the school. Were there things you did other than course load that helped you get an interview at UoP? high DAT?

Thanks.

My Cons:
I had a REALLY low GPA in my undergrad studies.

My Pros:
I killed my post bac (4.0 - with my lowest grade being one A- with a FULL courseload/all upper divis science classes... no BS filler classes)
21 science, 21 AA, 24 PAT on the DAT
I had over 800 hours of dental shadowing/experience
1800 hours of community service
4 years of research experience
Sculpture, pottery, jewelry making classes
I also think I wrote a pretty good personal statement

Specific to UOP: I volunteered at their main clinic, did their pre-dental simulation course, met with their advisors before starting my post bac, and worked for a few alums who wrote me LORs.

My Cons:

My Pros:
I killed my post bac (4.0 - with my lowest grade being one A- with a FULL courseload/all upper divis science classes... no BS filler classes)

Specific to UOP: I volunteered at their main clinic, did their pre-dental simulation course, met with their advisors before starting my post bac, and worked for a few alums who wrote me LORs.

Dude that is one crazy story. Glad you got into dental school, you totally deserve it :thumbup:

:thumbup:

My Cons:

My Pros: