WAMC 26-27, good masters + low undergrad GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Date of submission: 6/2/26
Overall GPA: undergrad 3.3,,, masters 4.0
Science GPA: undergrad 3.25, masters 4.0
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: undergrad 3.29, masters 4.0
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA 420, PAT 410, QR 450, RC 420, BIO 410, GC 420, ORGO 390, TS 410

State of Residence: NJ

Undergrad Major: Neuroscience and Biology ILM
Masters: Biomedical Sciences

Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: General Dentist + Pediatric Dentist = 60 hrs total
Volunteering Experience: ER volunteer = 40 hrs,, EMT = 500 hrs
Employment: dental assistant = 333 hrs
Research: undergrad lab assistant = 32 hrs

Currently a masters student at Rutgers -- My application reflects a 4.0 GPA with 22 completed credits (8 IP);
2 courses were taken with RSDM D1s. Rutgers advisor told me I didn't need to retake DAT but I'm starting to think otherwise.

Have only received NYU and Stony Brook KIRA -- no interview invites yet

School list:
Temple
Stony Brook
NYU
UPenn
UF
Tufts
Rutgers
Boston
Touro
UConn
 
Date of submission: 6/2/26
Overall GPA: undergrad 3.3,,, masters 4.0
Science GPA: undergrad 3.25, masters 4.0
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: undergrad 3.29, masters 4.0
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA 420, PAT 410, QR 450, RC 420, BIO 410, GC 420, ORGO 390, TS 410

State of Residence: NJ

Undergrad Major: Neuroscience and Biology ILM
Masters: Biomedical Sciences

Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: General Dentist + Pediatric Dentist = 60 hrs total
Volunteering Experience: ER volunteer = 40 hrs,, EMT = 500 hrs
Employment: dental assistant = 333 hrs
Research: undergrad lab assistant = 32 hrs

Currently a masters student at Rutgers -- My application reflects a 4.0 GPA with 22 completed credits (8 IP);
2 courses were taken with RSDM D1s. Rutgers advisor told me I didn't need to retake DAT but I'm starting to think otherwise.

Have only received NYU and Stony Brook KIRA -- no interview invites yet

School list:
Temple
Stony Brook
NYU
UPenn
UF
Tufts
Rutgers
Boston
Touro
UConn
list may be too short and upenn/uf/uconn are pretty big reaches

plus need way more shadowing hours...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Why do you have more EMT hours than dental hours? Community service?


Otherwise, you have done very well with your SMP, and we'll just have to trust the process.
I was exploring options sophomore year of my undergrad and found that volunteering as an EMT was a great way to be involved in patient care as well as get community service hours. Stopped volunteering after I graduated and then shadowed + assisted. A lot of my experiences as an EMT were very helpful during my career as a dental assistant

Thanks for posting!
 
list may be too short and upenn/uf/uconn are pretty big reaches

plus need way more shadowing hours...
Are there any other schools you recommend?

NYU and a few other schools confirmed to me that dental assisting hours count toward shadowing hours - is that still too little?
 
Are there any other schools you recommend?

NYU and a few other schools confirmed to me that dental assisting hours count toward shadowing hours - is that still too little?
i recommend you look at schools that are friendly to masters students
have you asked advisors in your program where students are typically accepted?

not all programs count assisting hours towards shadowing, plus schools like to see you observing different offices and specialties...
 
I was exploring options sophomore year of my undergrad and found that volunteering as an EMT was a great way to be involved in patient care as well as get community service hours. Stopped volunteering after I graduated and then shadowed + assisted. A lot of my experiences as an EMT were very helpful during my career as a dental assistant

Thanks for posting!
I agree that being an EMT is a great way to be involved in patient care, but it is also very medical-adjacent. Few situations with oral pain require an ambulance, so seeing so much of your time as an EMT tilts one's perceptions... (You also list more EMT hours than DA hours, but I'll presume the DA hours are more recent and still building.)

Furthermore, it looks like that is your only "community service" listing, so I'm curious if you have been involved with other community social-service activities that address food security, housing/environment, disabilities, or military/veterans. No campus involvement or leadership?
 
i recommend you look at schools that are friendly to masters students
have you asked advisors in your program where students are typically accepted?

not all programs count assisting hours towards shadowing, plus schools like to see you observing different offices and specialties...
I shadowed 2 general dentists + pediatric dentist/orthodontist. I worked with two general dentists as a dental assistant and occasionally an oral surgeon. This info probably doesn't make a huge difference but there is a bit of variety regarding my experiences

I'll look into other schools - Temple mentioned during their info session that applications are at an all-time high so it's looking pretty unpredictable

Thanks!
 
I agree that being an EMT is a great way to be involved in patient care, but it is also very medical-adjacent. Few situations with oral pain require an ambulance, so seeing so much of your time as an EMT tilts one's perceptions... (You also list more EMT hours than DA hours, but I'll presume the DA hours are more recent and still building.)

Furthermore, it looks like that is your only "community service" listing, so I'm curious if you have been involved with other community social-service activities that address food security, housing/environment, disabilities, or military/veterans. No campus involvement or leadership?
Correct - volunteered as an EMT between semesters starting my sophomore yr of undergrad up to when I graduated. At the time I was figuring out what I wanted to do and dentistry was very overlooked, so I hope that's not a negative aspect of my application. Started DA after I graduated so they're more recent, but I'm no longer doing it because I started the masters program August 2025 and they strongly recommended not to work during this time.

No other community service besides volunteering in the ER for a semester unfortunately. Had a rough start with undergrad grades so I was very focused on taking time to improve those. The only campus involvement would be as a sorority member where we fundraised for certain causes such as domestic violence, Cycle for Survival in honor of one of our sisters who passed away, etc. but I know that's not the strongest contributor of additional service. I wanted to get more service hours in but it was difficult being that I did DA, took DAT, and applied to masters - so it's definitely something I'm planning on pursuing once I complete the masters this December.
 
Date of submission: 6/2/26
Overall GPA: undergrad 3.3,,, masters 4.0
Science GPA: undergrad 3.25, masters 4.0
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: undergrad 3.29, masters 4.0
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA 420, PAT 410, QR 450, RC 420, BIO 410, GC 420, ORGO 390, TS 410

State of Residence: NJ

Undergrad Major: Neuroscience and Biology ILM
Masters: Biomedical Sciences

Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: General Dentist + Pediatric Dentist = 60 hrs total
Volunteering Experience: ER volunteer = 40 hrs,, EMT = 500 hrs
Employment: dental assistant = 333 hrs
Research: undergrad lab assistant = 32 hrs

Currently a masters student at Rutgers -- My application reflects a 4.0 GPA with 22 completed credits (8 IP);
2 courses were taken with RSDM D1s. Rutgers advisor told me I didn't need to retake DAT but I'm starting to think otherwise.

Have only received NYU and Stony Brook KIRA -- no interview invites yet

School list:
Temple
Stony Brook
NYU
UPenn
UF
Tufts
Rutgers
Boston
Touro
UConn
You can retake your DAT and get a little higher AA so you can qualify for the Rutgers Guranteed interview!