Distance Learning

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wes431

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I take English as a distance learning course at a CC, will that look bad?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the school...

If you're doing it for fun (which I doubt), you're fine with it.

If you're taking it to fulfill a med school's pre-requisite, know that many schools do not accept distance learning courses. The UC's have a problem with it, for one... I'm sure that there are many others.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did my senior year of high school and my first year of college (including chem I, English I and II) at a CC. I received multiple acceptances. No one even asked.

I did my senior year of high school and my first year of college (including chem I, English I and II) at a CC. I received multiple acceptances. No one even asked.
The CC college isn't going to be a problem for the OP; it's the distance learning aspect.

yah im taking it as a prereq

I would ask the CC if it shows up as distance learning on the transcript. I was looking into doing the same thing last year, and the CC reassured me that the "online" status of it would not show up on the transcript - in which case, I can't see how it would be a problem.

I would ask the CC if it shows up as distance learning on the transcript. I was looking into doing the same thing last year, and the CC reassured me that the "online" status of it would not show up on the transcript - in which case, I can't see how it would be a problem.
You are unlikely to be caught, but the stakes are higher. If you are going to get caught, it will happen when the school looks over your transcripts for the first time. This happens after you've accepted them and most schools go through them post-May 15th, when you have one acceptance.

If you are caught, you will have to defer or wave the acceptance good by and have a story to all the medical schools for why you're reapplying next year.

I wouldn't risk it, personally. I'm scrambling right now to fulfill a last minute prereq at a medical school. It's not fun. And if it happened a few weeks later, it wouldn't have been possible at all.