You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Learn 2 Months of Orgo2 from scratch in 2 days
Started by Amongus0000
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
You’re cooked
My advice would be to do as many practice questions out of the book as possible. Choose some from each section or find some practice exams and run through those.So, I have a really tough schedule and didnt go to orgo2 lecture for 2 months, how can i learn it all in 3 days before my test on Tuesday?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can you withdraw from the class?So, I have a really tough schedule and didnt go to orgo2 lecture for 2 months, how can i learn it all in 3 days before my test on Tuesday?
Based on my experience teaching it, you should withdraw from the class and not repeat this mistake the next time you take it.
Amongus0000
New Member
noCan you withdraw from the class?
Amongus0000
New Member
ultimately only about 10% of my grade so hoping to pull of like a 70-80%
I'd set that goal score lower and evaluate what about your schedule is so hard that orgo lecture is the thing you decided to skip out on and correct that moving forward. Even if you get lucky and don't bomb this exam, you still have weeks to catch up on and everything builds on the prior topics more and more and a weak foundation will get exposed quickly. Hope for the best, but for sure plan for the worst.
edit: I'm not convinced this isn't a weird bit because skipping lecture for six weeks as a premed??
edit: I'm not convinced this isn't a weird bit because skipping lecture for six weeks as a premed??
To be honest I think the 30-50% range would be more realistic. No class for 2 months, only 3 days to study. The chances of getting a 70/80 are extremely low. Good news is that this test is only 10% of your grade, however being a pre-med student you can’t afford to be lackadaisical about your science classes or risk screwing up your gpa. Hopefully you learn from this situation.ultimately only about 10% of my grade so hoping to pull of like a 70-80%
Is there not a final exam that covers the same material? And won't the next test also build on this missing material?ultimately only about 10% of my grade so hoping to pull of like a 70-80%
Grind khan academy and practice problems, you can do it
Yeah, as someone who teaches a lot of pre-req classes that part doesn't surprise me at all.edit: I'm not convinced this isn't a weird bit because skipping lecture for six weeks as a premed??
Amongus0000
New Member
should i be spending most of my time on practice problems or textbook/lecture?
Amongus0000
New Member
Unfortunately I was being stupid. Im CS and premed and ive had a bio and 2 cs midterms in the last 3-4 weeks so I just spent my time on those but I'm not looking to continue this into the future.I'd set that goal score lower and evaluate what about your schedule is so hard that orgo lecture is the thing you decided to skip out on and correct that moving forward. Even if you get lucky and don't bomb this exam, you still have weeks to catch up on and everything builds on the prior topics more and more and a weak foundation will get exposed quickly. Hope for the best, but for sure plan for the worst.
edit: I'm not convinced this isn't a weird bit because skipping lecture for six weeks as a premed??
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't think there's a great answer to book/lecture vs practice problems. If I was in your spot I would read/watch lectures on SN1/2 and E1/2, Khan Academy on your other topics, do as many problems with explanations as possible (especially SN and E rxns so you stand some chance at following the electrons in mechanism questions) , mentally prepare for the worst possible outcome and put your plan together to lock it down to learn the last few weeks and get caught up.
But before all that I would spend a little time to see if there is ANY way to withdraw that maybe got overlooked.
But before all that I would spend a little time to see if there is ANY way to withdraw that maybe got overlooked.
Amongus0000
New Member
Yeah I just reviewed Sn and E reactions. The test is pretty much just nucleophilic addition of aldehydes and ketones, nucleophilic substitution of acids and acid derivatives, and Nucleophilic Reactions of alpha-Carbon Acids.
Well sounds like you know what you're studying, good luck and try to get at least a little sleep between here and the exam!
What makes organic chemistry hard is that it is about pattern recognition. I don't know how you intend to learn organic chemistry but I don't think it's simple recall. Sure I would do a lot of problems, pouring over explanations and picking up the patterns. There are online resources to help you. Get off these forums and stop complaining.
You accept reality that you can't.So, I have a really tough schedule and didnt go to orgo2 lecture for 6 weeks, how can i learn it all in 3 days before my test on Tuesday?
Suggest that you drop Orgo, and start working on time mgt skills, which are required for med students.
You had 3 tests in the last month so you skipped somewhere around 15 lectures in another class that is notorious for being a pre-med weedout class to...make time to study? I really struggle to believe this isn't a troll. On the off chance it's not a troll, regardless of how you do on the test, you need to find an adult you trust and ask for every lesson they have about time management and decision making.Unfortunately I was being stupid. Im CS and premed and ive had a bio and 2 cs midterms in the last 3-4 weeks so I just spent my time on those but I'm not looking to continue this into the future.
I know premeds like this IRL. Actually worse than this. The thing is, in "real life", I hesitated to tell them "Hey man, you can't go to med school with a 493 MCAT, just save your money and don't apply." Maybe that makes me a crappy person, but I just didn't want these friends to hate me.You had 3 tests in the last month so you skipped somewhere around 15 lectures in another class that is notorious for being a pre-med weedout class to...make time to study? I really struggle to believe this isn't a troll. On the off chance it's not a troll, regardless of how you do on the test, you need to find an adult you trust and ask for every lesson they have about time management and decision making.
Now @Amongus0000 is kinda getting dunked on here because we're all anonymous, but Amongus: this is the kind of advice you have to hear. It doesn't feel good, but it's better to get roasted as a premed student than to be 26 with no prospects/marketable degree like my former premed friends. There are lots of career options that don't require an MD where you can feed yourself and serve your community. Heck, my brother got an open-book test CS degree, never studied, and he's loving his life.
Alternatively, if you want to be a physician, you totally can do it! But not with these study habits. Med school is infinitely worse than this. I, too, felt stressed and overwhelmed at times doing all the premed stuff back in the day, so I can empathize.
Best of luck bro. You can do this, but you need to either start studying like David Goggins runs or pick a different field.
Keep us updated on how this goes
awaiting OP to respond after getting an A because some people are just built like that.
How’d it go?
I hope they come back and are committed to improving their process so they can not have something like this happen again, but I feel like "drops pre-med, focuses on coding" is a really safe bet
What I am more worried about is that they somehow pull a B or A out of this process and learn nothing, and find themselves in a worse situation in the future due to not learning the lesson nowI hope they come back and are committed to improving their process so they can not have something like this happen again, but I feel like "drops pre-med, focuses on coding" is a really safe bet
Similar threads
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 865