Learn 2 Months of Orgo2 from scratch in 2 days

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amongus0000

Reaction score
So, I have a really tough schedule and didnt go to orgo2 lecture for 6 weeks, how can i learn it all in 3 days before my test on Tuesday?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user
So, I have a really tough schedule and didnt go to orgo2 lecture for 2 months, how can i learn it all in 3 days before my test on Tuesday?
My advice would be to do as many practice questions out of the book as possible. Choose some from each section or find some practice exams and run through those.

Members don't see this ad :)
Based on my experience teaching it, you should withdraw from the class and not repeat this mistake the next time you take it.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Your only chance is to do practice questions and learn from those. Good luck soldier

ultimately only about 10% of my grade so hoping to pull of like a 70-80%

I'd set that goal score lower and evaluate what about your schedule is so hard that orgo lecture is the thing you decided to skip out on and correct that moving forward. Even if you get lucky and don't bomb this exam, you still have weeks to catch up on and everything builds on the prior topics more and more and a weak foundation will get exposed quickly. Hope for the best, but for sure plan for the worst.

edit: I'm not convinced this isn't a weird bit because skipping lecture for six weeks as a premed??

Reactions: 3 users
ultimately only about 10% of my grade so hoping to pull of like a 70-80%
To be honest I think the 30-50% range would be more realistic. No class for 2 months, only 3 days to study. The chances of getting a 70/80 are extremely low. Good news is that this test is only 10% of your grade, however being a pre-med student you can’t afford to be lackadaisical about your science classes or risk screwing up your gpa. Hopefully you learn from this situation.

Reactions: 1 users
Grind khan academy and practice problems, you can do it

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd set that goal score lower and evaluate what about your schedule is so hard that orgo lecture is the thing you decided to skip out on and correct that moving forward. Even if you get lucky and don't bomb this exam, you still have weeks to catch up on and everything builds on the prior topics more and more and a weak foundation will get exposed quickly. Hope for the best, but for sure plan for the worst.

edit: I'm not convinced this isn't a weird bit because skipping lecture for six weeks as a premed??
Unfortunately I was being stupid. Im CS and premed and ive had a bio and 2 cs midterms in the last 3-4 weeks so I just spent my time on those but I'm not looking to continue this into the future.

I don't think there's a great answer to book/lecture vs practice problems. If I was in your spot I would read/watch lectures on SN1/2 and E1/2, Khan Academy on your other topics, do as many problems with explanations as possible (especially SN and E rxns so you stand some chance at following the electrons in mechanism questions) , mentally prepare for the worst possible outcome and put your plan together to lock it down to learn the last few weeks and get caught up.

But before all that I would spend a little time to see if there is ANY way to withdraw that maybe got overlooked.

Yeah I just reviewed Sn and E reactions. The test is pretty much just nucleophilic addition of aldehydes and ketones, nucleophilic substitution of acids and acid derivatives, and Nucleophilic Reactions of alpha-Carbon Acids.

Well sounds like you know what you're studying, good luck and try to get at least a little sleep between here and the exam!

What makes organic chemistry hard is that it is about pattern recognition. I don't know how you intend to learn organic chemistry but I don't think it's simple recall. Sure I would do a lot of problems, pouring over explanations and picking up the patterns. There are online resources to help you. Get off these forums and stop complaining.

So, I have a really tough schedule and didnt go to orgo2 lecture for 6 weeks, how can i learn it all in 3 days before my test on Tuesday?
You accept reality that you can't.

Suggest that you drop Orgo, and start working on time mgt skills, which are required for med students.

Reactions: 2 users
Unfortunately I was being stupid. Im CS and premed and ive had a bio and 2 cs midterms in the last 3-4 weeks so I just spent my time on those but I'm not looking to continue this into the future.
You had 3 tests in the last month so you skipped somewhere around 15 lectures in another class that is notorious for being a pre-med weedout class to...make time to study? I really struggle to believe this isn't a troll. On the off chance it's not a troll, regardless of how you do on the test, you need to find an adult you trust and ask for every lesson they have about time management and decision making.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
You had 3 tests in the last month so you skipped somewhere around 15 lectures in another class that is notorious for being a pre-med weedout class to...make time to study? I really struggle to believe this isn't a troll. On the off chance it's not a troll, regardless of how you do on the test, you need to find an adult you trust and ask for every lesson they have about time management and decision making.
I know premeds like this IRL. Actually worse than this. The thing is, in "real life", I hesitated to tell them "Hey man, you can't go to med school with a 493 MCAT, just save your money and don't apply." Maybe that makes me a crappy person, but I just didn't want these friends to hate me.

Now @Amongus0000 is kinda getting dunked on here because we're all anonymous, but Amongus: this is the kind of advice you have to hear. It doesn't feel good, but it's better to get roasted as a premed student than to be 26 with no prospects/marketable degree like my former premed friends. There are lots of career options that don't require an MD where you can feed yourself and serve your community. Heck, my brother got an open-book test CS degree, never studied, and he's loving his life.

Alternatively, if you want to be a physician, you totally can do it! But not with these study habits. Med school is infinitely worse than this. I, too, felt stressed and overwhelmed at times doing all the premed stuff back in the day, so I can empathize.

Best of luck bro. You can do this, but you need to either start studying like David Goggins runs or pick a different field.

Reactions: 3 users
awaiting OP to respond after getting an A because some people are just built like that.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
I used to teach university organic chemistry. I don't think I could have even learned 6 weeks of orgo in 4-5 days. Best of luck, but you should maybe consider retaking the class if you can't at least earn a B, which is pretty easy imo.

Last edited:
I hope they come back and are committed to improving their process so they can not have something like this happen again, but I feel like "drops pre-med, focuses on coding" is a really safe bet

I hope they come back and are committed to improving their process so they can not have something like this happen again, but I feel like "drops pre-med, focuses on coding" is a really safe bet
What I am more worried about is that they somehow pull a B or A out of this process and learn nothing, and find themselves in a worse situation in the future due to not learning the lesson now

• Dislike