1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Distance Learning?

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by Eyssamae, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Eyssamae

Are distance learning schools a complete waste in the vet tech career? I'm thinking that it would be quite difficult, because from what I read, there's a lot of hands-on activity. I just wondered, because there isn't a vet school anywhere near where I live, that I know of.

Thanks!!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. LVT2DVM

LVT2DVM UGA-CVM c/o 2013
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    There are quite a few distance Tecnology programs that are quite excellent at adminstering the same educational objectives of a on-site program. That said, YOU have to be motivated to complete the work, but I think this hold true for any. Where the differences lie, are where you get you clinical training. On-site programs are able to provide instruction in a more standardized and consistant format. If you go distant ed, then your clinical training will be solely based on what vets/ vet techs you work with teach you. Good clinic= good training, not so great clinic= not so great training.
    I myself prefer on-site programs. But if you can get some recommendations from the school or OP about a good clinic to work in, then you should do okay. You will be required to work under a vet while in the program. You will be given objectives from the program that you will have to complete but the exact nature of the completion (ie quality) is subjective.

I would choose a distance program based on
    a) has a schedule I can work with
    b) long standing history of established, ACCREDITED, program
    c) National licensing exam pass rate

(probably more but I cant think of anything else right now. PM me if you have specific questions)