Diversity Learning Media Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hachamor_persists

Reaction score
There's a lot of resource lists floating around my Facebook of reading/watching/listening to do to learn about African American history and present. I thought I might make a thread to chat about diversity learning and diversity professional development on here, and what resources people are finding helpful. (We don't have to stick to anti-black racism, but I figured it's as good a place as any for me to start the conversation.) I'd love to hear what y'all are reading/watching/hearing and to talk about any media I've been learning from.
  • Have there been any resources you've learned a lot from or found engaging?
  • Has anything you've learned impacted your perspective or interactions at work or in classes? in broader life?
  • Has something at work or in class ever made you want to learn more about history or cultural competency?
In terms of diversity learning media I've been engaging with:
  • I've been listening to CodeSwitch and AVMA Diversity and Inclusion On Air for a while now (maybe 2-3 years and 6-12 months, respectively). I really like both podcasts. I listen to almost every CodeSwitch, and learn something new from many of them. In terms of AVMA's Diversity podcast, I maybe listen to 1/3 or 1/2 the episodes; they don't all feel completely relevant since I'm not really in positions of power in the veterinary field to be able to shape policy or standards. I ALWAYS learn something new from the AVMA podcasts though, often about how situations are typically or ideally handled in the veterinary world.
  • Lately, I've watched Just Mercy (2019), and Harriet (2019). I'd learned some about Harriet Tubman in school, but I hadn't realized how incredible she was; I'd mostly just had little bits of trivia-type facts. I also re-watched 13th (2016, DuVernay) if anyone wants to talk about it.
  • "Why Are All The Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria?": A Psychologist Explains the Development of Racial Identity by Beverly Daniel Tatum just came off hold for me from the library which is exciting; it had been on my list to read for a while, but until recently, I hadn't had a certain enough schedule until recently to know that I'd be able to read it once I got to the end of its hold list.
  • There are some new veterinary articles (experiences more than research) and podcasts that have been put out lately that I really want to read and listen to, but I haven't fit them into my schedule yet. It's hard, because I have a rhythm for podcasts I'm subscribed to, as well as books and movies, but I don't like reading articles online or listening to podcasts on a computer (rather than while cooking/cleaning/doing laundry/etc.). If someone recommends one, I'll really try to get to it, if not I'll just keeping trying?
For those last two, I have a lot of feelings but would love to hear how others are on them if anyone feels comfortable sharing. I just thought of those questions a few minutes before posting this and am about to log off for Shabbat, so I'm kind of taking 25-ish hours to think.

(Edited to fix the name of a resource)

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I’m really not a book reader or a podcast listener. Haven’t read a book since college almost 15 years ago, and I’m one of those people living in the dark ages who doesn’t really get what a podcast or instagram is. So I can’t really help there.

But as far as relevant topics go, I found it helpful to read up on healthcare disparity on the people side of things. Not so much how we treat the patients themselves, but the clients. I think there’s a lot to take from there. I have had new to me but long time POC clients of the clinic, and have been shocked at how often common recommendations had never been offered by the other doctors. And it’s not like I worked with outwardly racist doctors. But that bias must be there. You know, the subconscious decision to gloss over wellness recommendations or not bring up the lifestyle vaccines or take the time to provide a dental estimate and actually make a true pitch for that dental recommendation. Each doctor assuming that just because there’s no hx of lepto vaccine or invoice for heartworm prevention means they’re not interested. And I’ve seen it in action. The way POC and foreign clients are treated being different from your average white non-foreign client, by both doctors and staff. They’re not necessarily being treated unkindly or anything, but def not the same. I think we need to be more aware of that. I would wager that those who read this and think, “oh no not me, I don’t see color and I treat everyone the same” are those who need to really make the effort to see further. This type of thing is pervasive. Unless you are aware that you are capable of this, and on realizing that making sure to check yourself with your foreign and POC clients to ensure that you are providing your best, there’s a good chance you’re not.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)