District manager dating a floater?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Markovnikov

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what your thoughts about a pharmacy district manager dating one of the floater pharmacists? Is this crossing one of the ethical or legal lines? According to one of my co-workers it is ok because they do not work together inside the pharmacy. However, if there was ever a conflict between the floater and another pharmacist or a tech, then I wonder how it would be resolved.

Just wondering about this situation or if any one else knows anything about dating while working at the same pharmacy chain or dating while working at the same pharmacy location?

Members don't see this ad.

From a legal standpoint, I can't imagine there being anything wrong with it. I know an officer who is married to a district attorney. Of course, they are never on opposite sides of the courtroom from each other... but their co-workers are. His partner commonly has cases with her all the time. It's been questioned and cleared of any wrongdoing.

I know that has nothing to do with the topic but consider it an analogy. If, under the letter of the law, that is not a conflict of interest then I can't imagine any conflict with dating someone within the same company.

Could it become a conflict of interest very quickly? Sure. If they manage it properly and are aware that they don't need to work directly with one another unless there's no other option... it won't be.

Really, the question falls back on company policy, and I'd imagine company policy will differ from place to place.

She probably wont be a floater for long!:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Also forgot to mention that the district manager has been DM for less than 1 year and he lives with his girlfriend (the floater). They moved here from out of town together.

If the company knows about it, it's probably fine.

Markovnikov, they were dating even before they were working for the same company. To boot, the DM is transferring about three hours away here very shortly leaving the floater behind (so im told). The company knows about it, clearly they are ok with it. In my opinion so long as it doesnt affect their professional judgement or that of others, who cares.

Stuff like this happens all the time....NEXT!

She probably wont be a floater for long!:laugh:

Thats most likely the reason why she is dating him in the first place. Floating=pain in the a**.

This type of question should never occupy your mind for longer than 3 seconds.

1 - Hey, they're dating???
2 - Wow, is that appropriate?
3 - Huh, oh well, Thyroid 1 grain is on backorder again...

On a serious note - this type of thing happens all the time. It just so happens that the two people are at different levels of professional development. If it is in the direct chain of command, it is unprofessional. Wouldn't be okay in the military, but it seems to be acceptable in the corporate world.

I don't get what the problem is.. if Merideth Gray can date her attending then this should be fine..

Can you imagine if they made a Pharmacy based drama.. hey they have Nurse Jackie now.. I think we need a drama if we are to be respected in the medical community.

On the other hand it would probably get cancelled before the 2nd commercial break.

- "OMG!!"
- "What?"
- ".. you didn't hear?"
- "Thyroid 1 grain is on backorder again.."
----cut to commercial----

I don't get what the problem is.. if Merideth Gray can date her attending then this should be fine..

Can you imagine if they made a Pharmacy based drama.. hey they have Nurse Jackie now.. I think we need a drama if we are to be respected in the medical community.

On the other hand it would probably get cancelled before the 2nd commercial break.

- "OMG!!"
- "What?"
- ".. you didn't hear?"
- "Thyroid 1 grain is on backorder again.."
----cut to commercial----
:laugh: You are hilarious.

How typical. Sleeping one's way to the top. :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hell yeah, and in pharmacy, I can do the sleeping to the top, since 9/10 of my supervisors are women.

Hahahaha!

True, I have yet to work with a male pharmacist. All the pharmacists I worked for are all female for some reason.:confused: I was expecting males but I haven't met one yet. I guess pharmacy is the NEW NURSING. 99% female, 1% male.

True, I have yet to work with a male pharmacist. All the pharmacists I worked for are all female for some reason.:confused: I was expecting males but I haven't met one yet. I guess pharmacy is the NEW NURSING. 99% female, 1% male.

Pretty much.

Which is fine with me... I was raised around women. 3 "sisters", in a house full of women, no a male role-model in sight for me to learn all the nasty ball-scratching habits from.

That and it ensures workplaces are always clean and tidy, because women aren't slovenly like men are.

Hell yeah, and in pharmacy, I can do the sleeping to the top, since 9/10 of my supervisors are women.

Hahahaha!
:laugh:

Really? Maybe it's a down south trend. I've worked with 8 male pharmacists. The ratio I'm familiar with is 2:1.

Pretty much.

Which is fine with me... I was raised around women. 3 "sisters", in a house full of women, no a male role-model in sight for me to learn all the nasty ball-scratching habits from.

That and it ensures workplaces are always clean and tidy, because women aren't slovenly like men are.

Yeah we are cleaner. I have NEVER seen a room so messy until my freshman year in college and I went over to a apartment with 4 males. I was really shocked. I don't think I have ever stepped in a place that messy in my life! :laugh:

Oddly enough, during barracks inspections, the female rooms were always messier than the male rooms... Yet, in "normal life", women are much tidier... Men respond better to authority? Can follow rules better? Hell if I know, but it was pretty much 100% that way.

And Kirby, I definitely do not live in the south, and it's very much female-dominated.

Look @ UCSF - 2008 they admitted 76% women.

at my school in arkansas, the graduating class is usually 2/3 female and 1/3 male.

I've seen a good mix of male and female pharmacists, but I've only seen younger female pharmacists. All the older pharmacists I've worked with were male.

NOPE. Only one guy was young and good-looking. Haha. Actually 2, but one dude was intimidating. I called him Eminem. HAHAH. But I eventually cracked him.

I've seen a good mix of male and female pharmacists, but I've only seen younger female pharmacists. All the older pharmacists I've worked with were male.
6 out of 8 males were young (under 35) for me. What age do you consider young?

Yeah, I think the ratio is usually between 2:1 and 3:1 at pharm schools, so it would make sense that the ratio of pharmacists would match. I would think that men would be more likely to stay in the field, however. I'm not meaning that to be a sexist comment; I just think most male pharmacists work their entire careers in the field while some women will get married, have children, and work part time or not at all for a while. So I would expect the practicing pharmacist ratio to be closer to 1:1, but apparently this is not the case.