Dit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the god

the god
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I am an IMG , though I've finished my Prep, I feel so let down and not confident. My UWorld tanked down to the 50's from around 70%. Result I panicked canceled my Test , which i will have to re-apply for (since my extended eligibility period is over). I wanted to ask if DIT would help me @ this stage, or will it be like just another reading of FA (which I have already done umpteen number of times) ? Also I heard that the main difference would be the DIT Workbook, which could really work well ... Your suggestions, guys ?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,
I am an IMG , though I've finished my Prep, I feel so let down and not confident. My UWorld tanked down to the 50's from around 70%. Result I panicked canceled my Test , which i will have to re-apply for (since my extended eligibility period is over). I wanted to ask if DIT would help me @ this stage, or will it be like just another reading of FA (which I have already done umpteen number of times) ? Also I heard that the main difference would be the DIT Workbook, which could really work well ... Your suggestions, guys ?

I did the DIT but I don't think it helped much at all. I think my time would have been better spent with Pathoma or doing USMLE World. DIT covers only really basic information and sometimes dives in too deep in low yield items.

Well I'm doing DIT now, and I'm doing this after I have completed UWorld 100%. DIT is good but I feel as if Dr. Jenkins is the only good lecturer out of all the doctors bcz he makes the connections...the other doctors seem to just read off First Aid and they don't go through the Quiz like they are supposed to.

DIT quizzes is about recall. All of my friends who did DIT passed step 1. If you have your basic science foundation set then DIT is for you but if you don't have your foundation set then DIT is not for you. DIT is not for everyone, when I first did DIT i hated it but I'm half way through and I can recall a lot of things because of DIT. It's all up to the student, I personally need organization since the topics in First Aid is all over the place.

As for the DIT workbook, that helps ALOT. It has information that clears up some confusing things from First Aid. For example the basal ganglia, you cannot grasp it from First Aid, but DIT workbook has better diagram of it and they go over it for you and it helped me clear up my confusion regarding it.

So try it and see if it works for you but you have to stay consistent and do exactly what they say like pause the video and take the quiz without looking at the book.

I only think that DIT helps as a review. It is essentially the same thing as reading through first aid. You have to have the baseline knowledge down pretty well in the first place. If you actually have deficits in your knowledge base or don't understand some concepts then you should look elsewhere. (maybe go through uworld again or identify some topics you need to really revise)

Members don't see this ad :)
My problem is that all questions are similarly worded and vague, they do not contain the buzzwords or the identifying point cannot be determined from the question. I'm perplexed @ that. The concepts, I'm grounded in, but I may be deficient @ memorizing a few important facts, but that's about it ... its really the questions that bug me. I feel tense before every block and cannot hold on to my nerves.
I just cannot keep reading forever, because I recognize the concepts well. Also as an IMG, cracking the USMLE and entering residency in the US has been a long cherished dream, but it seems to be slipping away. I've given myself a month and if I don't do well, so then be it, I'll explore other options.

I love it, the questions are really helping me learn to recall, not just recognizing the right answer.
Someone mentioned earlier that Dr Lewis is the only good lecturer. He's definitely the best, but the other ones aren't bad. The only one I don't like has actually had a lot of his 2013 videos redone by Dr Lewis in the 2014 version.

would I do DIT a month before my exam or like a few months before?
They recommend that you finish it 10-15 days before your exam. A lot of people I've talked to use it for their first run through first aid, then use the next 10 days to memorize stuff, read and retread FA, and do questions. If you watch like, 11 videos (20 min each) per day, you should finish in 21 days, which is actually the average amount of time it takes people to get through all the videos. This can be very time consuming if you're also constantly pausing the video to annotate. I'm finding that 11 videos a day is really draining for me since I'm always stopping to annotate.

How is DIT specifically for Neuro? Does it cover most of what you need to know and explain it well?