DITY question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mirror Form

Thyroid Storm
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, thanks to the efficient army personel, I just received my orders yesterday to start AD on June 15th. Naturally, PCS will never work b/c they're all tied up until the middle of July. So, it looks like I have no choice but to go with DITY (I don't really have that much stuff anyway).

Two questions:
1. Do you need a truck for DITY? Or can I just use my car?
2. If I do rent a truck, I was told that the army wouldn't pay to have my car towed behind me. However, they would pay if a friend decided to drive it down for me. So, is there a practial reason why I can't just say my imaginery friend (bob) is driving the car down, meanwhile really towing it behind me? I realize that this would be "wrong," but since the army created this mess in the first place, it's pretty easy to justify.

Members don't see this ad.

Sledge2005 said:
So, thanks to the efficient army personel, I just received my orders yesterday to start AD on June 15th. Naturally, PCS will never work b/c they're all tied up until the middle of July. So, it looks like I have no choice but to go with DITY (I don't really have that much stuff anyway).

Two questions:
1. Do you need a truck for DITY? Or can I just use my car?
2. If I do rent a truck, I was told that the army wouldn't pay to have my car towed behind me. However, they would pay if a friend decided to drive it down for me. So, is there a practial reason why I can't just say my imaginery friend (bob) is driving the car down, meanwhile really towing it behind me? I realize that this would be "wrong," but since the army created this mess in the first place, it's pretty easy to justify.
Don't have an answer for #2. But for #1, the rules were changed 3-5 years ago to allow "car" type vehicles to be used for full or partial DITTY moves (as opposed to SUV, pickups, and station wagons).

I've done two DITY's...

I towed my car both times.

I rented a truck, then took it to the scales to get my empty weight ticket (at civilian scales).

I then packed all my crap up (I had a buddy help....hardeharhar military gay humor), latched to towing trailer on, then took the whole apparatus down to the civilian scales for a full weight.

I've even heard of guys renting the HUGE trucks, driving their car in and packing their stuff in around it. Now, THAT'S dishonest....

I hate doing DITY's....after my 1st one I swore never to do another then I got into this HPSP thing and was allotted a "Home of Record" move, but not a "Go to Des Moines" move. So I had to do DITY and get prorated...FUN.

Good Luck on your move.

Members don't see this ad :)
kedhegard said:
What a good fcukin idea...!

Guy down in Tx was recently caught loading his truck with 55 gal. drums full of god know's what prior to getting it weighed. Bad move.

Seriously, no one will check whether you actually drove the POV or not. Like everything else with expense accounts, its an integrity thing. Your call.

Oh yeah, this is the DITY calculator that tells you how you'll do:
http://hhg.navtrans.navy.mil/pptacalc/calc_main.html

DITY was fine when I was single. Sometime after marriage (like 10 sec after maybe) I had 10x too much stuff to make it worth the effort.

GMO_52 said:
Guy down in Tx was recently caught loading his truck with 55 gal. drums full of god know's what prior to getting it weighed. Bad move.

Damn, I just did that calculator and it doesn't come close to covering the cost of my move. If you get your truck weighed at an independant scale though, how is the government going to know what's in it? Do you have to use official military scales or something?

GMO_52 said:
Seriously, no one will check whether you actually drove the POV or not. Like everything else with expense accounts, its an integrity thing. Your call.

Yeah, but according the DITY calculator (thank you for that, btw), the DITY reimbursement isn't going to cover my move. This is especially annoying b/c the only reason I'm doing DITY is b/c some lazy ***** person in the army didn't bother getting me my orders in time to do a full service move like I would have MUCH MUCH preferred. So, the integrity issue is pretty easy to get around.

So integrity is not something you value, first as a member of our armed forces and second as a physician? Interesting. Last I checked you don't get to act like an ass just because there was a delay in your orders. You do realize its the government (synonymous with lots of red tape) don't you?Two wrongs don't make it right.

Is the army slower than the Navy? My husband got his orders last week. We filled out the online form, were contacted by movers and will be packed and moved next week with delivery no later than June 28th. Are you sure you can't get HHG to get you where you need to go on time?

clc17 said:
So integrity is not something you value, first as a member of our armed forces and second as a physician? Interesting. Last I checked you don't get to act like an ass just because there was a delay in your orders. You do realize its the government (synonymous with lots of red tape) don't you?Two wrongs don't make it rightIs the army slower than the Navy? My husband got his orders last week. We filled out the online form, were contacted by movers and will be packed and moved next week with delivery no later than June 28th. Are you sure you can't get HHG to get you where you need to go on time?

I'd like to see how long that smug, holier-than-thou attitude lasts once you...excuse me...your husband gets on active duty. :thumbdown:

clc17 said:
So integrity is not something you value, first as a member of our armed forces and second as a physician? Interesting. Last I checked you don't get to act like an ass just because there was a delay in your orders. You do realize its the government (synonymous with lots of red tape) don't you?Two wrongs don't make it right.

Is the army slower than the Navy? My husband got his orders last week. We filled out the online form, were contacted by movers and will be packed and moved next week with delivery no later than June 28th. Are you sure you can't get HHG to get you where you need to go on time?

Ofcourse I checked, there was nothing until over 3 weeks after I needed to move. And then I wouldn't be able to get my stuff delivered b/c they only deliver during "business hours," which I'll never be home during as an intern. As far as acting like an ass, I don't see how wanting to get reimbursed for my moving costs qualifies. If I was trying to make a profit, that would be different.

My husband has been active duty for 8 years. We have NEVER cheated the military out of anything and don't condone being dishonest by loading up your truck with gallons of water or whatever it is to make it heavier. You get reimbursed what they offer. It may not cover everything, but it's better than what civilians get (nothing). It cost us a lot to DITY to San Diego. You may think I am smug, but at least I have my honesty and integrity.

clc17 said:
You get reimbursed what they offer. It may not cover everything, but it's better than what civilians get (nothing).

Well you're not supposed to have to pay a lot of money for moves that the military forces you to make, especially if you haven't received a paycheck from them in over 4 years. As far as civilians not getting anything covered, that's a pretty ridiculous comparison since they get a much better choice about locations and moving. Trust me, I wouldn't be doing my intern year 600 miles away from where I am now if I wasn't in the Army.

clc17 said:
It cost us a lot to DITY to San Diego.
But didn't you dity b/c you wanted to? It's different when you want to do a normal move but can't b/c you got screwed by some army secretary that didn't feel like doing her job. BTW, keep in mind that when you did your dity move you had another person to help you do it. Instead, I have to somehow move all my furniture and junk up 3 flights of stairs (no elevator in my new apartment building) in 100+ deg temps and humid weather by myself since I don't know a single person in the city I'm moving to. Whereas, if I had gotten my orders in time, everything would have been moved for me. So, being forced to do a DITY is pretty much a disaster, and I don't feel one once of guilt for making sure I don't have to pay out of pocket for it.

clc17 said:
You may think I am smug, but at least I have my honesty and integrity.

Well you are smug, and you're also a *****.

clc17 said:
My husband has been active duty for 8 years. We have NEVER cheated the military out of anything and don't condone being dishonest by loading up your truck with gallons of water or whatever it is to make it heavier. You get reimbursed what they offer. It may not cover everything, but it's better than what civilians get (nothing). It cost us a lot to DITY to San Diego. You may think I am smug, but at least I have my honesty and integrity.

You have to understand there is a fine line between "fraud waste and abuse" and simply "gaming the system." Loading a truck with 55gal drums of water is fraud waste and abuse. What sledge2005 is trying to do sounds more like gaming the system. As you should know after 8 years of your hubby being on active duty, whatever extra money sledge gets now will eventually go right back to the military in the form of 16 hour days, extended deployments, working weekends, additional duties, etc. If your moral compass is not sensitive enough to tell the difference...well just don't rat everyone else out to the IG.

BOHICA-FIGMO said:
You have to understand there is a fine line between "fraud waste and abuse" and simply "gaming the system." Loading a truck with 55gal drums of water is fraud waste and abuse. What sledge2005 is trying to do sounds more like gaming the system. As you should know after 8 years of your hubby being on active duty, whatever extra money sledge gets now will eventually go right back to the military in the form of 16 hour days, extended deployments, working weekends, additional duties, etc. If your moral compass is not sensitive enough to tell the difference...well just don't rat everyone else out to the IG.

To a large extent I agree with this and, as I think about it, can't you claim the miles you drove the van that towed the car anyway? The only thing that wouldn't pay for is the platform itself. Its not like you're shipping the POV, flying and then claiming the miles. A rental van is a POV. Now, claiming a second vehicle as if you drove them both...I think that crosses the line for me. My gaming the system confession (don't ya like how I jump right back across the line ;) ): I bought a weight bench and weights that I was planning on buying upon arrival before I left and the extra cash for the weight paid for them.

Your "not supposed to" do a lot of things that the military has you do. Your not supposed to prescribe drugs without a license...except in the military. Your not supposed live on the opposite coast as your spouse, except in the military. Dont' give me that whiny BS about not doing your internship where you wanted because the Army or whoever tells you where to go...you signed on the line, nobody made you. You went to school "free". The price you agreed to pay was time. I didn't and I have 200k in loans to repay. That's the price I agreed to pay... AND the military controls my life because my husband is active duty (we love the Navy though, I am a proud Navy wife and can't stand to see you all bashing your jobs).

Just be honest. Work something out to get as much of your cash back as possible without being criminal about it. That's all I ask.

I guess I am smug and the only ***** I know who's also going to be a dermatologist.

clc17 said:
Your "not supposed to" do a lot of things that the military has you do. Your not supposed to prescribe drugs without a license...except in the military. Your not supposed live on the opposite coast as your spouse, except in the military. Dont' give me that whiny BS about not doing your internship where you wanted because the Army or whoever tells you where to go...you signed on the line, nobody made you. You went to school "free". The price you agreed to pay was time. I didn't and I have 200k in loans to repay. That's the price I agreed to pay... AND the military controls my life because my husband is active duty (we love the Navy though, I am a proud Navy wife and can't stand to see you all bashing your jobs).

When did I whine about signing up for the Army (btw, the army didn't pay for my med school and I have plenty of debt too)? I'm just stating the facts, and the only thing I'm complaining about is being screwed with not getting my orders in time and consequently not being able to move properly.

clc17 said:
Just be honest. Work something out to get as much of your cash back as possible without being criminal about it. That's all I ask.
Oh please, do you actually think that the people in transportation give one iota that I was screwed over by some lazy secretary in the GME office? There is no way to "work things out" when dealing with this much red tape. You just have to game the system in order to break even.

clc17 said:
I guess I am smug and the only ***** I know who's also going to be a dermatologist.

Congratulations, so you're not just going to be a ***** afterall, but a useless sell out of a *****. Any ethical argument against me pales in comparison to how the dermatologists jeopardize patient care by keeping their numbers disgustingly low despite high demand. Have fun sitting in your office treating acne and doing cosmetics while the truly sick people in the hospital can't get a derm consult.

I just calculated it out, and approximately 20 thousand red bricks will fit in the back of the largest Uhaul. Talk about a tax refund!

kedhegard said:
I just calculated it out, and approximately 20 thousand red bricks will fit in the back of the largest Uhaul. Talk about a tax refund!

lol, but why stick with bricks? We could rent some of those huge water tanks and really make a killing :laugh:

How much would it cost to fill up the truck with bricks?

That goes with the aforementioned original "wine"

"that's a pretty ridiculous comparison since they get a much better choice about locations and moving. Trust me, I wouldn't be doing my intern year 600 miles away from where I am now if I wasn't in the Army."

clc17 said:
That goes with the aforementioned original "wine"

"that's a pretty ridiculous comparison since they get a much better choice about locations and moving. Trust me, I wouldn't be doing my intern year 600 miles away from where I am now if I wasn't in the Army."

As I said earlier, just stating the facts. Your analogy was pretty flawed so somebody had to call you out on it.

clc17 said:
How much would it cost to fill up the truck with bricks?

Your astute ability to spot sarcasm is impressive :rolleyes:

And if you're just playing along, then it's even more pathetic.