Partial DITY / PPM prior to having orders

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pgg

Laugh at me, will they?
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to eventually get reimbursed for a partial DITY / personally procured move that you start before you have orders?

I'm starting to move some household goods to my retirement destination. I don't have retirement orders yet, though I have an approved request and date (6/1/2022) in NSIPS. Assuming I get weights and receipts as usual, will the fact that they're dated before I have orders prevent reimbursement?

I'm starting the move early, to clear some space and facilitate renovations to the house I'm living in now, before I sell it this summer. If it's impossible per instruction or regulation I'll just skip the hassle of weighing the truck. But if there's a chance the Navy will pay up later, I'll do it.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it possible to eventually get reimbursed for a partial DITY / personally procured move that you start before you have orders?

I'm starting to move some household goods to my retirement destination. I don't have reitrement orders yet, though I have an approved request and date (6/1/2022) in NSIPS. Assuming I get weights and receipts as usual, will the fact that they're dated before I have orders prevent reimbursement?

I'm starting the move early, to clear some space and facilitate renovations to the house I'm living in now, before I sell it this summer. If it's impossible per instruction or regulation I'll just skip the hassle of weighing the truck. But if there's a chance the Navy will pay up later, I'll do it.

I’m not smart enough with the JTR to give an official answer, but would it be worth it to rent a local storage unit instead of moving it?

Granted that’s moving crap twice so might not be worth the time, but just a thought.

I’m not smart enough with the JTR to give an official answer, but would it be worth it to rent a local storage unit instead of moving it?

Granted that’s moving crap twice so might not be worth the time, but just a thought.
Not really. Most of the stuff we're moving early are things we're only going to move ourselves because the gov contract movers can't or won't do it. There's a 1800 pound safe, a 2500 pound 4' x 8' x 7' CNC mill, buckets and buckets of oil and coolant, raw materials, a couple hundred pounds of smokeless powder for reloading ammunition, primers, god only knows how much lead, enough loaded ammunition to supply practice and competition for a panic market lasting through back-to-back democratic presidents, and other assorted things movers won't move and storers won't store.

I need it all gone from this house ASAP so we can do some renovations, and I'd rather staple my fingers to my toes than move it all twice. If I eat the cost by doing it too early, so be it, but obviously I'd rather the government paid for it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There's a 1800 pound safe, a 2500 pound 4' x 8' x 7' CNC mill, buckets and buckets of oil and coolant, raw materials, a couple hundred pounds of smokeless powder for reloading ammunition, primers, god only knows how much lead

Well now I see how some people actually make DITY moves a profitable experience. Yeah, I wouldn’t want to move that stuff twice either.

I'm starting to move some household goods to my retirement destination. I don't have retirement orders yet, though I have an approved request and date (6/1/2022) in NSIPS. Assuming I get weights and receipts as usual, will the fact that they're dated before I have orders prevent reimbursement?

I believe you need your order in hand before you do your partial. Call your transportation office to be sure.