Dive Medicine from Neurology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RainbowYoshi

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, intern in neurology residency. Thanks again for all the help and advice everyone. Vaguely thinking about fellowships, in general ive been leaning towards stroke vs neuro hospitalist vs headaches. One thing in general i just thought about is Under sea and hyperbaric medicine. It was something I was really intrested in coming into medical school and one of the reasons I was thinking heavily about EM. I was wondering if you all have every heard of a neurologist going into dive medicine or how they got there.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My understanding of dive medicine is that it's very blood gas/acid-base/gas exchange physiology intensive. This isn't a strength of neurology training, and I can't see any way in which neuro would be better than medicine training for this.

My understanding of dive medicine is that it's very blood gas/acid-base/gas exchange physiology intensive. This isn't a strength of neurology training, and I can't see any way in which neuro would be better than medicine training for this.
In particular I saw the PD in UWisconsins program was neuro trained and I was thinking there might a role for neuro in terms of seizures from oxygen toxicity and maybe more acute for like stroke from microbubles / bends.

I mean I don't know how?

The seizures would be provoked and TPA/thrombectomy doesn't treat bubbles.

Seems like all the treatment is preventive if anything.