diverse range of cases at NECO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chicagotech

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am choosing between NECO and ICO. I love NECO but am worried that I will be missing out on diverse patient demographics if I don't attend ICO. Do third-years get enough experience in NECO's clinic?

Members don't see this ad.

I would say they're pretty much the same exact clinic experience schedules and encounters, but with NECO's clinics being more spread out through Boston/separate from the school. From what I remember when I visited, ICO's clinic was part of the school, and everything school related was consolidated all on the same street. This doesn't make a difference for anything, but you might be traveling differently at NECO. NECO's 2 clinics are commonwealth ave right near the school, and then Roslindale which is a little farther. They also branch out at a few other locations. For what it's worth, NECO has a tiny library and shares a library with MIT. You'll be moving around a lot in Boston.

Both cities are known for being really diverse in different ways. The racial demographics are surprisingly pretty similar. Roslindale and Chicago have about the same % of blacks, whites. Boston in general has slightly less blacks, but a much higher percentage of Asians compared to Chicago and the rest of the country. The white neighborhoods in Boston are heavily Italian, Irish, French Quebec, vs Chicago has more of an Eastern European influence with more polish and Ukrainians. The cultures between the two cities are also really different, with the average native new englander personality being a bit blunt/"take me as I am"/upper class citizens not afraid to throw F bombs in casual conversation type of personalities compared to the rest of the country. Not always bad thing, though.
The disease profiles for both Chicago and Boston also aren't deep red on the maps like what you'll see in the diabetes belt of the South, but you will be exposed to plenty at both schools. I think you'll have made a good decision going to either school, and every doctor I've met so far from the both of them has been extremely great at what they do. They're both so established that they have everything down on lock, and their board scores have always been level with each other too. I'd go with whichever one you think makes more sense financially. :)

Reactions: 1 user
I would say they're pretty much the same exact clinic experience schedules and encounters, but with NECO's clinics being more spread out through Boston/separate from the school. From what I remember when I visited, ICO's clinic was part of the school, and everything school related was consolidated all on the same street. This doesn't make a difference for anything, but you might be traveling differently at NECO. NECO's 2 clinics are commonwealth ave right near the school, and then Roslindale which is a little farther. They also branch out at a few other locations. For what it's worth, NECO has a tiny library and shares a library with MIT. You'll be moving around a lot in Boston.

Both cities are known for being really diverse in different ways. The racial demographics are surprisingly pretty similar. Roslindale and Chicago have about the same % of blacks, whites. Boston in general has slightly less blacks, but a much higher percentage of Asians compared to Chicago and the rest of the country. The white neighborhoods in Boston are heavily Italian, Irish, French Quebec, vs Chicago has more of an Eastern European influence with more polish and Ukrainians. The cultures between the two cities are also really different, with the average native new englander personality being a bit blunt/"take me as I am"/upper class citizens not afraid to throw F bombs in casual conversation type of personalities compared to the rest of the country. Not always bad thing, though.
The disease profiles for both Chicago and Boston also aren't deep red on the maps like what you'll see in the diabetes belt of the South, but you will be exposed to plenty at both schools. I think you'll have made a good decision going to either school, and every doctor I've met so far from the both of them has been extremely great at what they do. They're both so established that they have everything down on lock, and their board scores have always been level with each other too. I'd go with whichever one you think makes more sense financially. :)
awesome, thank you so much for your insight ! I feel better about committing to NECO now

Last edited: