Diversity and Adversity Essay Help Please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredrnick

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I would love some feedback on ideas for my diversity and adversity essays. I'm a white male living in the northeast - I graduated in 2016 and have been working at a hospital the past 2 years...

Diversity:
1. I am a big brother mentor in Big Brother Big Sister and have learned so much about my little's family and his perspective since his upbringing is drastically different than mine.

2. Since my dad grew up poor, as I was growing up (I wouldnt consider myself low SES though) he would teach me lessons about saving money, the importance of hard work (I would help him dig ditches and stuff in the yard), and basic financial principles. I would save any money that I earned/ received and eventually taught myself how to trade stocks, ETFs, and options. I have learned how to take calculated risks after careful research and have experienced both success and failure. My interest in economics/finances and medicine led me to study inefficiencies in the ever-rising healthcare expenditure (no published papers though.) As a physician, I hope to implement policies to decrease nation-wide expenditure and the financial burden on the individual. (I am just starting a clinical research position where we aim to decrease readmissions to the hospital, which has large financial implications...) - Does this one sound too privileged?

3. something about my work and volunteer experiences with people from all backgrounds and my ability to connect with and help them (I feel this is a requirement?...)

4. being from a jesuit undergrad I embrace the value that I live to serve others, esp, underserved.

Adversity:

So my personal statement spoke about the unexpected death of my grandfather during college but didnt elaborate on how I coped with it/ helped my family - is it okay to discuss it or should I choose a new topic.

Thanks so much!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I would love some feedback on ideas for my diversity and adversity essays. I'm a white male living in the northeast - I graduated in 2016 and have been working at a hospital the past 2 years...

Diversity:
1. I am a big brother mentor in Big Brother Big Sister and have learned so much about my little's family and his perspective since his upbringing is drastically different than mine.

2. Since my dad grew up poor, as I was growing up (I wouldnt consider myself low SES though) he would teach me lessons about saving money, the importance of hard work (I would help him dig ditches and stuff in the yard), and basic financial principles. I would save any money that I earned/ received and eventually taught myself how to trade stocks, ETFs, and options. I have learned how to take calculated risks after careful research and have experienced both success and failure.

My interest in economics/finances and medicine led me to study inefficiencies in the ever-rising healthcare expenditure (no published papers though.) As a physician, I hope to implement policies to decrease nation-wide expenditure and the financial burden on the individual. (I am just starting a clinical research position where we aim to decrease readmissions to the hospital, which has large financial implications...) - Does this one sound too privileged?

3. something about my work and volunteer experiences with people from all backgrounds and my ability to connect with and help them (I feel this is a requirement?...)

4. being from a jesuit undergrad I embrace the value that I live to serve others, esp, underserved.

Adversity:

So my personal statement spoke about the unexpected death of my grandfather during college but didnt elaborate on how I coped with it/ helped my family - is it okay to discuss it or should I choose a new topic.
For Diversity, if you understand how money really works, that makes you unusual. I don't think you need to go past the first part of your commentary above. I broke it off where you edged into the "hopes and dreams" category and away from the purpose of the essay.

For Adversity, try to find another topic.

Hello

As for Diversity - don't quite understand the third idea about volunteer experiences?

As for Adversity - you can look for the ideas on the forum too. Here's the old thread as I can see on SDN - Adversity essay prompt last minute essay

Last edited: