Diversity essay help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sparky21

Reaction score
Hi guys, I wrote my diversity essay and now im not so sure it fits the prompt well..

I wrote about growing up with a brother with a cochlear implant and how since our parents are non native English speakers, I have been responsible for helping him with communication skills since I was young and how i experienced all the things he couldnt do because of a lack of access/accomodations so this inspired me to begin alleviating communication barriers for others.

Is this too much about my brother and not enough about me?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, I wrote my diversity essay and now im not so sure it fits the prompt well..

I wrote about growing up with a brother with a cochlear implant and how since our parents are non native English speakers, I have been responsible for helping him with communication skills since I was young and how i experienced all the things he couldnt do because of a lack of access/accomodations so this inspired me to begin alleviating communication barriers for others.

Is this too much about my brother and not enough about me?
I don't know the prompt, and I don't know if you have other essays that this response could apply. I think it does talk more about someone else's challenges and how you help them rather than your own. But I can see how these challenges are valuable to a learning environment. Caregivers experience a lot, and advocating for others is part of that responsibility.

I think for OIE, it is a good topic. Did you submit this for that essay?

I don't know the prompt, and I don't know if you have other essays that this response could apply. I think it does talk more about someone else's challenges and how you help them rather than your own. But I can see how these challenges are valuable to a learning environment. Caregivers experience a lot, and advocating for others is part of that responsibility.

I think for OIE, it is a good topic. Did you submit this for that essay?
No I didn’t answer the OIE. I was planning to use this essay for prompts like “How will your own experiences contribute to the diversity of the student body and to provide equitable and inclusive care to your future patients” and other similar prompts

Members don't see this ad :)
No I didn’t answer the OIE. I was planning to use this essay for prompts like “How will your own experiences contribute to the diversity of the student body and to provide equitable and inclusive care to your future patients” and other similar prompts
Ok. The suggestion works in those cases.

In the prompt you gave, it should work. Just make sure you get the main purpose of that experience and background across to reflect how you can apply this to your future as a physician.

In the prompt you gave, it should work. Just make sure you get the main purpose of that experience and background across to reflect how you can apply this to your future as a physician.
What about for the prompt “Describe your identity and how it has impacted the development of your values and attitudes toward individuals different from yourself and how this will impact your interactions with future colleagues and patients.” I wasn’t sure because idk if my experiences with him show “my identity” part but these experiences really have shaped part of my identity

What about for the prompt “Describe your identity and how it has impacted the development of your values and attitudes toward individuals different from yourself and how this will impact your interactions with future colleagues and patients.” I wasn’t sure because idk if my experiences with him show “my identity” part but these experiences really have shaped part of my identity
What identity would you take on to answer this prompt? I can argue "caregiver" or "companion" to someone with a hearing deficit is unique and contributes to diversity. You are responsible for showing how caring for your brother shaped your values and attitudes... you inferred something about lack of access or accommodations, so explain what you mean. I'm guessing you had to make some sacrifices, so what were they?