Diversity Essay Idea

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zen Arcade

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have been struggling with thinking of a good idea for the diversity essay as I come from an advantaged, white, middle class background. However, one idea I thought of is that I have worked blue collar jobs during two of my summers as an undergrad. One summer at a warehouse with a lot of people from poor/inner city areas and another summer as a carpenters assistant remodeling and building decks, etc. I was thinking of writing about having a better idea of what it means to work in that kind of job. Is this okay or would you not consider this 'diversity'?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm good with that. Talk about how you feel at the end of the day, how you came to understand the mindset of those who work with their hands, those who labor for low wages, the food they eat during breaks, the topics of conversation including hopes, fears, health, injuries, risks, complaints about health care systems. You got a peek into a world that many physicians, and those of us who have never worked in those industries, do not have and that is valuable.

Reactions: 2 users