Diversity Essay Ideas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reader88

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I know I am the millionth person to ask but anyway, here we go. Please don't quote, I'd like the option of deleting.

Option 1- I am well versed in the subject of trauma-informed care due to the fact that my mom grew up in an abusive home and has become a big advocate for it. I have done research in the subject since submitting my primary so could mention that and my trauma-informed perspective and how that would add to my classmates by learning more about it.

Option 2- Significant public health experience, worked at 3 different public health agencies during undergrad

If both of these options don't work, it's back to the drawing board! I'm not an immigrant, don't have any unique hobbies (though the opinion on whether that makes for a good diversity essay appears to be mixed) so I will have to dig deep.

I think 2 is a stronger option than 1. But I also think you could come up with something stronger.

I know I am the millionth person to ask but anyway, here we go. Please don't quote, I'd like the option of deleting.

Option 1- I am well versed in the subject of trauma-informed care due to the fact that my mom grew up in an abusive home and has become a big advocate for it. I have done research in the subject since submitting my primary so could mention that and my trauma-informed perspective and how that would add to my classmates by learning more about it.

Option 2- Significant public health experience, worked at 3 different public health agencies during undergrad

If both of these options don't work, it's back to the drawing board! I'm not an immigrant, don't have any unique hobbies (though the opinion on whether that makes for a good diversity essay appears to be mixed) so I will have to dig deep.
#2 all the way. Your mom is not applying to med school, you are, so 1 is a no-go.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is #2 still better even if it is covered more in my primary app?