Diversity essay ideas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Med.School.Hopeful

Reaction score
Thinking about the diversity essay.

I have a family member with a speech/communication disorder. Communicating with others and going to school had its challenges. The stigma and feelings of bad self-image affected this person. Being a success, finding acceptance, and finding their way in life has always been a concern.

I have another family member with a history of addictions. They were Baker Acted and were in treatment for a couple of months. Almost took their own life before we intervened and got them Baker Acted. They've had a history of mental health problems as well. I would visit this person routinely and got to know the friends they made at the rehab center. I got to know their stories and how they fell into addictions. Volunteering at the ER I would see patients with addiction problems and family members bringing them in and begging them to get help. I would often talk to these families and console them and talk to the person about getting help.

These experiences have led me to volunteer with various organizations with those in need and youth that need help in school. Its also given me a new perspective on those with addictions. Its things that have really molded me in the person I am today and how I interact with others.

Would this be a good diversity topic?

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like a fine topic but make sure you focus on the perspectives you bring, rather than those of your family members. It sounds like you were maybe more directly involved in the second example, and if that is the case, I would focus on that.

Reactions: 1 user