Diversity Essay Ideas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RandomOtter

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am struggling a little with my diversity essay and what makes me a unique applicant. I have a few ideas and any help narrowing them down would be very appreciated!

1) Playing on the D1 tennis team at my university. Learning how to balance academics and athletics. Connecting with a wide range of players on my team, including international students. Playing tournaments with different doubles partners taught me how to communicate effectively, tailoring to each person's preference.

2) Homeschooling until high school and then taking full college classes my junior and senior year. Having to adjust to many different learning styles and developing friendships quickly. I sought longitudinal relationships with volunteering at my hospice center and through tennis.

3) As a second-generation American, I struggle with balancing my Korean side and American side. My grandparents were my main connection to the Korean culture as I grew up in a rural part of the Midwest. After they passed away, I struggled to keep in touch with that side of myself.

4) Having an uncle with severe depression who ended up committing suicide. Learning very quickly at a young age about mental health as he would disappear for months at a time and I would have to help look for him or my family would ask me to keep in contact with him. Having many members of my family tell me that I was the main reason he kept on trying and living (I was his favorite niece and visited for several days out of a month). After he passed away, I understood the severity of mental health and how important it is to treat everyone especially when diseases are not visible.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone! I am struggling a little with my diversity essay and what makes me a unique applicant. I have a few ideas and any help narrowing them down would be very appreciated!

1) Playing on the D1 tennis team at my university. Learning how to balance academics and athletics. Connecting with a wide range of players on my team, including international students. Playing tournaments with different doubles partners taught me how to communicate effectively, tailoring to each person's preference.

2) Homeschooling until high school and then taking full college classes my junior and senior year. Having to adjust to many different learning styles and developing friendships quickly. I sought longitudinal relationships with volunteering at my hospice center and through tennis.

3) As a second-generation American, I struggle with balancing my Korean side and American side. My grandparents were my main connection to the Korean culture as I grew up in a rural part of the Midwest. After they passed away, I struggled to keep in touch with that side of myself.

4) Having an uncle with severe depression who ended up committing suicide. Learning very quickly at a young age about mental health as he would disappear for months at a time and I would have to help look for him or my family would ask me to keep in contact with him. Having many members of my family tell me that I was the main reason he kept on trying and living (I was his favorite niece and visited for several days out of a month). After he passed away, I understood the severity of mental health and how important it is to treat everyone especially when diseases are not visible.
I like 2 and 3 more than 1 and 4, but you would obviously have to develop them more. If you go with #3 and grew up in an area with few Koreans, you could also discuss being a distinct minority and why you wanted to maintain your connection to the part of you that made you stand out from the crowd, if you felt that it did. If you go with #2, how did you benefit from your different education? How has it been a detriment?

How will you bring a distinctive perspective to medical school and your medical practice as a result of the experience you choose to focus on? How will it help you to serve and interact with people different from you?

Reactions: 1 user