Diversity Essay Ideas Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sparky21

Reaction score
Hi all!

I have 2 main ideas for my diversity secondaries and wanted to get opinions on what would be stronger.

1) Both my parents immigrated from Ukraine, I am fluent in the language, my culture is a huge part of my identity. Could talk about this and especially now with the war and political unrest it is more important than ever that I take pride in my roots and educate others on our traditions, values, etc.
2) My brother is Deaf with a cochlear implant. Could talk about my experiences growing up alongside him and how it has taught me tolerance early on but also exposed me to the ableism and lack of accomodations in society and how I want to work to prevent that and promote inclusion

These are very different directions to go in so let me know what you think would make for a stronger essay and reflection!

Thanks so much :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all!

I have 2 main ideas for my diversity secondaries and wanted to get opinions on what would be stronger.

1) Both my parents immigrated from Ukraine, I am fluent in the language, my culture is a huge part of my identity. Could talk about this and especially now with the war and political unrest it is more important than ever that I take pride in my roots and educate others on our traditions, values, etc.
2) My brother is Deaf with a cochlear implant. Could talk about my experiences growing up alongside him and how it has taught me tolerance early on but also exposed me to the ableism and lack of accomodations in society and how I want to work to prevent that and promote inclusion

These are very different directions to go in so let me know what you think would make for a stronger essay and reflection!

Flip a coin. Either works for me.

1) You'll get some sympathy for Ukraine and the ongoing conflict there. This topic obviously will work.
2) There is a LOT of chatter on raising awareness of disabilities in the health professions and medicine (search #docswithdisabilities), and not a lot of med students have insight about the Deaf/Hard of Hearing community.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all!

I agree that both are good topics. However, has your Ukrainian background shaped any of your extracurriculars? Have you volunteered your time to this community? For your second point, have you done anything that promotes inclusion of deaf individuals like you mentioned? You can't just say you want to do something without having any activities tied to it, so definitely give it some thought which one aligns with what you have on your application.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all!

Both experiences would work. It going to come down to what you say about them and how they have influenced not only the physician you want to be, but your outlook and the consequent behavior to date.

Which is more important to you?