This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Accelerator

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have four ideas with which to write my diversity essay. I can't seem to decide which one sounds to best:

1) My parents were hesitant towards modern medicine for cultural reasons, and I was treated with homeopathy for post-operative care as a child until we went back to a physician. I need some help with actually describing how this would contribute to the diversity of a medical school class though. However, I can relate to some of the psychological barriers patients face when receiving care.

2) I do astrophotography and have a website portfolio. I have held informal meets where several people and I would stargaze through my telescope. Often, we'd discuss the religious significance of stars and constellations from other cultures, and I learned about other cultures and their religious beliefs. I could relate this to clinical practice by stating how it made me aware of the customs of others as it pertains to medical care?

3) I know Latin, and had won some regional competitions in Latin. I learned a great deal of anthropology as a result, and this gave me insight into other cultures that the Romans interacted with. I did not study Latin in undergrad, however.

4) I work in a clinic for incarcerated drug and alcohol rehab patients. Working with this patient population has given me a new perspective on empathy and caring for others in a non-judgmental manner. This was one of my MMEs

I feel like the third one is a bit of a stretch, but any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Please provide the prompt and character limits.

With that, my impressions;
1) No, it's not about you.
2) No. That's more of a hobby than an identity.
3) No. You did not grow up in Greco-Roman era. Learning Esperanto also makes one eccentric. If anything Latin will help you with medical terminology (Esperanto won't).
4) No. That's an activity.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
There is a 300 word character limit. I'm just pre-writing a general diversity essay, but a prompt I'm following is: "Please describe how your own personal attributes, background, or life experiences, would contribute to our medical class's diversity."

Please provide the prompt and character limits.

With that, my impressions;
1) No, it's not about you.
2) No. That's more of a hobby than an identity.
3) No. You did not grow up in Greco-Roman era. Learning Esperanto also makes one eccentric. If anything Latin will help you with medical terminology (Esperanto won't).
4) No. That's an activity.
Hmm... I am ORM, but I'm not sure what else I should look to put here then? The only other thing I can think of is coming from a religious background and doing medical missions in high school. The latter was the introduction of my PS though.

In the article, you will see a link for the AAMC white paper on DEI competencies in medical education. Go through it.

Being ORM is allowed. ORM encompasses many different cultures and ethnicities. Why are you going to be an inspiration to others in your class? If you strongly align with your religious identity, that's allowed too.

Thanks for showing me the DEI paper! Would you say that moving around a lot as a kid and having a bicultural identity are good topics instead of those four?

Thanks for showing me the DEI paper! Would you say that moving around a lot as a kid and having a bicultural identity are good topics instead of those four?
Moving around as a kid: could be... maybe more an OIE. Bicultural identity is a better framework for a diversity essay.