Diversity Essay Question - Relative's mental health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

brighteyes1017

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

I"m really struggling with the diversity essay. Two ideas that I've been working with are 1) living in a rural, medically underserved community and 2) my brother's mental illness (depression). Right now, I've woven them together, the connection really being the challenge to get adequate care. I discuss how the experiences have shaped me and allowed me to have empathy for others.

Do you think that it's risky to talk about a relative's mental illness? And do you think that the combination of these two things makes the overall essay weak? (I know hard to even comment without seeing--just asking for general thoughts!!)
 
I think this is a great topic for an essay, I'm just not sure if it fits the diversity theme all that well. The way you're describing it makes it much better suited for a challenge essay.

Furthermore, being empathetic doesn't--shouldn't--make you diverse, but growing up in a rural area does.