Diversity Essay Question - Relative's mental health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brighteyes1017

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I"m really struggling with the diversity essay. Two ideas that I've been working with are 1) living in a rural, medically underserved community and 2) my brother's mental illness (depression). Right now, I've woven them together, the connection really being the challenge to get adequate care. I discuss how the experiences have shaped me and allowed me to have empathy for others.

Do you think that it's risky to talk about a relative's mental illness? And do you think that the combination of these two things makes the overall essay weak? (I know hard to even comment without seeing--just asking for general thoughts!!)

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think the topic necessarily is bad. Just make sure it answers the prompt well.

I think this is a great topic for an essay, I'm just not sure if it fits the diversity theme all that well. The way you're describing it makes it much better suited for a challenge essay.

Furthermore, being empathetic doesn't--shouldn't--make you diverse, but growing up in a rural area does.

I think you can use the rural area angle and state that you knew people who had difficulty accessing mental health services etc without divulging your brother's health history.

Reactions: 1 user