TiePilotGuy
New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone, looking for some feedback on a diversity essay angle I am considering.
I am a member of the 501st Legion, a global Star Wars costuming organization whose mission is to bring joy to communities through charitable appearances. This is organized community service, not just fandom. Over the past year, I have done over 30 events including hospital visits, VA celebrations, pediatric oncology carnivals, Alzheimer's walks, epilepsy awareness walks, Down syndrome buddy walks, holiday toy drives with the CHP, Thanksgiving meal distributions, and large public events like the Anaheim Halloween Parade, sports games, and a march at Disneyland.
I genuinely feel like this experience is unique and compelling. I have shown up in a stormtrooper costume for veterans, interacted in character with children facing chronic illness, and interacted with thousands of strangers at public events. The costume does something that a clinical role or volunteer title just does not. A kid with Down syndrome pulled me onto the dance floor at a buddy walk. Reading books to childrenn at the library. A child at a trunk or treat ran up and hugged me before I even said anything.
I want to use this for a diversity secondary but I am not sure how to frame it in a way that directly and authentically answers the prompt. Has anyone used a non-traditional community service experience like this for a diversity essay? How would you connect something like this to what I bring to the medical school community specifically? Any thoughts appreciated.
I am a member of the 501st Legion, a global Star Wars costuming organization whose mission is to bring joy to communities through charitable appearances. This is organized community service, not just fandom. Over the past year, I have done over 30 events including hospital visits, VA celebrations, pediatric oncology carnivals, Alzheimer's walks, epilepsy awareness walks, Down syndrome buddy walks, holiday toy drives with the CHP, Thanksgiving meal distributions, and large public events like the Anaheim Halloween Parade, sports games, and a march at Disneyland.
I genuinely feel like this experience is unique and compelling. I have shown up in a stormtrooper costume for veterans, interacted in character with children facing chronic illness, and interacted with thousands of strangers at public events. The costume does something that a clinical role or volunteer title just does not. A kid with Down syndrome pulled me onto the dance floor at a buddy walk. Reading books to childrenn at the library. A child at a trunk or treat ran up and hugged me before I even said anything.
I want to use this for a diversity secondary but I am not sure how to frame it in a way that directly and authentically answers the prompt. Has anyone used a non-traditional community service experience like this for a diversity essay? How would you connect something like this to what I bring to the medical school community specifically? Any thoughts appreciated.