Diversity Essay Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Green_Goose

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a pretty regular guy but here's my take on this essay. I know that it may sometimes be cliche to write about race/ethnicity, especially if you're an ORM like me, but the gist of my essay was that being one of few minorities in my community growing up (my high school was over 95% white) regularly put me into contact with people very different from me. I said this helped me value different opinions and not be in a bubble, and that it also wasn't until college that I began appreciating my own culture more. Are these ideas a good start, or are they perhaps too common or too simple? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds very cliche to me. How did you start appreciating your own culture more and how would that add to diversity? That would likely be more fruitful than just talking about how you were a minority growing up unless you felt like that somehow gave you some unique perspective.

I'm a pretty regular guy but here's my take on this essay. I know that it may sometimes be cliche to write about race/ethnicity, especially if you're an ORM like me, but the gist of my essay was that being one of few minorities in my community growing up (my high school was over 95% white) regularly put me into contact with people very different from me. I said this helped me value different opinions and not be in a bubble, and that it also wasn't until college that I began appreciating my own culture more. Are these ideas a good start, or are they perhaps too common or too simple? Thanks.
It’s fine. Diversity essays are FOS anyway :shrug:

Members don't see this ad :)
The prompt sis not always about ethnicity. What's cool about you?

Sounds very cliche to me. How did you start appreciating your own culture more and how would that add to diversity? That would likely be more fruitful than just talking about how you were a minority growing up unless you felt like that somehow gave you some unique perspective.

I started getting more attached to my heritage once I started college and met more people like myself, but I'm not sure if feeling 'more comfortable in my culture' would necessarily add to the diversity of a school. Do you think being an outsider could be considered a unique perspective? That's around what I was shooting for in my draft. I feel like growing up as a minority gives you experience working with people unlike you and maybe makes you more resourceful for having to rely on yourself more often.

Can you be more specific.

But trying to say that Being a parent makes you diverse is like trying to say you're diverse because you breathe.
I homeschooled my kids for 6 years, I guess that’s unique. I have kids who are college aged to middle school, so it gives me the perspective of what a parent is thinking as the mom of a peds patient...not sure if I’m on the right track or not. Didn’t mean to hijack the thread either, apologies!

I homeschooled my kids for 6 years, I guess that’s unique. I have kids who are college aged to middle school, so it gives me the perspective of what a parent is thinking as the mom of a peds patient...not sure if I’m on the right track or not. Didn’t mean to hijack the thread either, apologies!
No and no. I personally have a rather acerbic view of homeschooling, unless you live in an area with lousy schools.

Reactions: 1 user
The prompt sis not always about ethnicity. What's cool about you?

Is it cool to have grown up being one of very few minorities in school? I'm sure no one has done that before, lol. Other than that, I was thinking of writing about being a standardized patient, or maybe even my sense of humor, but I've only worked 1 role as a standardized patient and those two topics haven't had as big of an impact on my life as my childhood.

Is it cool to have grown up being one of very few minorities in school? I'm sure no one has done that before, lol. Other than that, I was thinking of writing about being a standardized patient, or maybe even my sense of humor, but I've only worked 1 role as a standardized patient and those two topics haven't had as big of an impact on my life as my childhood.
The mnority experience is always useful.

Reactions: 1 user
No and no. I personally have a rather acerbic view of homeschooling, unless you live in an area with lousy schools.
We did at the time, it was either private school we couldn’t afford, a really bad (think violent) public school, or homeschooling. Kids were placed in public school when we moved to a better area.

Back to the drawing board I guess.

It's easy to dismiss these essays until you get to medical school and see

a lot of people don't know how to interact with people from a different background.

It's pathetically sad, dangerous in today's climate, and more important given societal trends towards more diversification.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users