Diversity essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aqua264

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I know a lot of people ask about the diversity essay - I would greatly appreciate some input between these options. Thank you in advanced for reading this.

1) I collect paper napkins - it used to be a common hobby in Romania and the collection was passed down from my mother. I was thinking to relate this to how it developed my sense of empathy, looking at cultures through a lens of cultural relativism (vs ethnocentrism), and how my appreciation of the small things in life have helped me become a more resilient person.

My concern about this one is that the traits I am talking about are pretty common and expected of doctors.

2) Talking about my family in terms of weight and prevention. My dad is overweight with type 2 diabetes, my mom has always been healthy, and my brother made the transition from obese to healthy. I got to see how their lifestyles affected their health outcomes and it sparked my interest in preventive medicine. A lot of my undergraduate ECs have to do with nutrition and obesity. I was part of an integrative medicine student organization and created a for-credit seminar about obesity.

My main concern with this one is that I use nutrition classes and integrative medicine in some "why our school?" essays.

What do you all think?

Members don't see this ad.

No and no. We expect people to have hobbies...that shows us candidates are human.

You're a good son and brother to be concerned about your family's health, but that expected of everyone. It's like trying to get credit for breathing.

C'mon...what's cool about you?

No and no. We expect people to have hobbies...that shows us candidates are human.

You're a good son and brother to be concerned about your family's health, but that expected of everyone. It's like trying to get credit for breathing.

C'mon...what's cool about you?

Daughter and sister*. Thank you for the input! I definitely see where you're coming from.

I think that's where I'm confused. From skimming other people's diversity threads, it seems like they talk about hobbies (scuba diving, photography, etc) or life experiences and relate that to how it gives them a unique perspective. If those are too generic, then what's left?

Members don't see this ad :)
are you first born in US? Did you have immigrant parents? Are you an immigrant?

I was considering writing about this, but is this uncommon enough to write about in a diversity essay?

Diversity in your case may be staring you in the mirror: are you first born in US? Did you have immigrant parents? Are you an immigrant?

Yeah, I was first born in the US. My parents came here from Romania after Ceaușescu was assassinated since they could finally leave the country.

I don't feel like this makes me diverse though - a lot of applicants are the first ones born in the US and/or primarily raised by their grandparents.