Mental health in Vet applications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mercyfriend

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I hope everyone is safe and doing ok! I have a question but first I need to give a bit of background:

I went through some things (COVID related things that ended up spiraling out of control, losses happening left and right) and ended up withdrawing in the ninth week of the quarter, two quarters away from graduating. I was actually admitted to a mental health hospital for a bit, went through intensive group therapy, all that jazz, but after around 3 months I applied to work at a veterinary hospital and my mental health shot right back up. I felt good, I felt useful, and I felt a lot less hopeless than before. I went back to school too and am two weeks away from finally getting my undergrad degree.

What I’m wondering is: what will vet school application reviewers think about me withdrawing so late in the quarter? What would they say if I talked about what happened?

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

I talked about mental and physical health issues I had in my explanation statement and didn't have any issues with vet school admissions. However, I had several years between that stuff and my application and was able to demonstrate how it was not longer a problem (through grades and things I'd done). And in my statement I focused more on the things I'd done and the things I do to stay mentally and physically healthy with only a brief couple sentences about what was.

So ... I think it's ok to talk about mental health BUT it's an art to talk about it in a way that doesn't give adcoms any reason to think your former issues will resurface in vet school (because vet school is likely more stressful than anything you've done in your life). I'd suggest having several trusted friends/family members read your statement to make sure it's conveying the right message.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all! I hope everyone is safe and doing ok! I have a question but first I need to give a bit of background:

I went through some things (COVID related things that ended up spiraling out of control, losses happening left and right) and ended up withdrawing in the ninth week of the quarter, two quarters away from graduating. I was actually admitted to a mental health hospital for a bit, went through intensive group therapy, all that jazz, but after around 3 months I applied to work at a veterinary hospital and my mental health shot right back up. I felt good, I felt useful, and I felt a lot less hopeless than before. I went back to school too and am two weeks away from finally getting my undergrad degree.

What I’m wondering is: what will vet school application reviewers think about me withdrawing so late in the quarter? What would they say if I talked about what happened?

Thank you so much!
I addressed mental health issues in my explanation statement the year I applied. It's important to frame the discussion in a way that lets the schools know that you learned from the experience and have better coping mechanisms in place. You want to be factual, and not paint it like you're a victim of circumstances beyond your control. Also helps if you can point to a semester or more of good grades as evidence that you're doing better. I was admitted, so I don't think schools held it against me. But I do think a withdrawal like that should be addressed in an explanation statement.