Diversity Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I Just wanna be a PT

Reaction score
I am having trouble answering this question. I am a middle class white male whose parents have lived in Illinois for generations. Here are some things that may set me apart from other students. Let me know what you guys think is the best topic:

I was a tutor (helped students of different learning styles and demographics)

I helped coach a boxing club

My father had kidney failure and it led to numerous other health problems. Recently he was diagnosed with spinal stenosis, a disorder that has damaged nerve sensations in his legs and left him unable to walk (Only Problem is I already used to answer another essay prompt about an experience that influenced my personal growth)

I was placed in special reading classes in grammar school and junior high, but managed to achieve a 4.0 GPA in college.

I am a first generation med/science pursuing student (mom is an accountant, dad worked in a lumber yard)

Which of these topics do you think would be the best to write about? Or should I write about a comnination of a few?

Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 1 user
Only problem is, how does this experience offer something valuable for the school?
From my time spent in a clinical setting, I would say that there are aspects of coaching in doctoring. You are often trying to get people to change their behaviors and empower them to make healthy choices in life. If you coached a diverse group, add in working across social and cultural differences to that.

Just gotta spin it right.

You are from a solidly middle class background. That is becoming increasingly rare among successful applicants; far more come from the top 10% or even top 5%. (the minimum household income for the top 10% is $133,000/yr).