Diversity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OSJ

Michigan State CVM 2012
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some of my supplementals ask about diversity. I am having a hard time answering on how I will add diversity to a class. I am a white female, from a good family (no major hardships, my dad did not go to college but owns as successful business , my mom only got an associates degree) I grew up in a suburb. Is it okay to talk about diverse animal/vet experiences? I have experience working in rural vet clinics with dairy and beef cows to large animal medical centers in the city and working with horse vets on backyard horses to expensive race horses and show horses. Does that count as diversity, or do I need to and look more into my background? My background just does not seem that diverse! Hmm...I went to Catholic all girls high school, grew up in a suburb near the city and managed to gain tons of large animals -both horse and cow experience (even though there are no cows anywhere near where I grew up) does that count?
Thanks for any advice on how to go about these!:)

Members don't see this ad.

there have to be qualities about you that can add diversity. for instance, if you are applying to an out of state school, coming from a different region of the country, and subsequently its culture, adds diversity. like you said, being around large animals will add diversity to a school in an urban area. also, your personal experiences that don't include animals. like traveling to other countries, experiencing different cultures, being part of a humanitarian organization, working with an exclusive species (in this case, animal related, but will definately add diversity) your specific career goals are definately diverse! so these examples can be animal related, but put a spin on them that are not animal related and there ya go! :luck:

Yeah, try to find personality traits too that you think will separate you from the crowd. Do you have past experiences that taught you valuable lessons that you think might set you apart? Demographically you kind of fit the mold, but those are only demographics. Surely there are things that makes your perspective unique.

Amazingly being a white males makes me slightly more diverse. Male being the operative word here. Also, I'm making a career change from the music business so I don't think there will be too many applicants that can claim the same.

Members don't see this ad :)
For my MSU app, I mentioned being 'geographically challenged' ! :oops:

"white female, from a good family"

that IS diverse ;) honestly though, i used my white female, great, loving and close family, great small community who supported me, pastor's kid (not one of the bad ones :p) etc. that is hard to find these days. :)

Haha very true, maybe my whtie female from a good family (oldest of 6:)) can be used to my advantage!
I guess I have always considered myself different than alot of other applicants from my experiences , I just need to figure out how to put it into words! Maybe I can add in there how passionate I am in a way that doesn't sound like it's something everyone says...
I am someone who walks through a snow storm to make sure my horse has enough hay and plenty of shavings and sleeps in the barn if he is not feeling well:)

Thanks everyone. :)

Haha very true, maybe my whtie female from a good family (oldest of 6:)) can be used to my advantage!

I would think with 5 siblings you must have some pretty decent interpersonal skills. I mean, look how well the Brady Bunch was always able to solve their domestic disputes.