Diverticulosis vs. Diverticulitis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dcpark74

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, which of the two causes hematochezia?

BRS says diverticulitis
Robbins says diverticulosis

so? i vote for robbins. (stupid ? i know, but conflicting data)

Members don't see this ad.

http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic578.htm

"Hematochezia, or bright red blood per rectum, is not a symptom of diverticulitis, although occult blood in the stool is present in approximately 25% of patients with diverticulitis. When hematochezia is noted, other causes (eg, hemorrhoids, neoplastic disease, colitis, vascular ectasias, arterial bleeding from diverticulosis) should be considered."

thanks for the reply.

Harvard has a website that i went to and had a video. it says diverticulosis, even though 1/1000 patients present with hematochezia, 85% of those will spontaneously heal. Remainder need intervention.

:) always go to harvard if there is a discrepancy.

Members don't see this ad :)
When you are talking about diverticular disease, if you see blood, it's diverticulosis. That is the way my GI prof. taught us to remember it for the GI module. Then if there is no blood, it's diverticulitis. So go with Robbins!!!!!

Diverticulosis = non-inflammatory condition (no fever, no increased WBC count --> just painless bleeding out of the ass.

Diverticulitis = inflammation of a diverticulum --> fever, increased WBC, pain (bleeding is optional).