Division I Athlete

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mdtichen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First, let me apologize if this is a repeated topic in this forum. I performed a search on it and did not find much.

I was just wondering how much medical schools take into consideration the fact that someone is a DI athlete. I know it depends on the schools but would you think gives me a better shot of at least getting an interview?

Let me give you guys some background. I was a four year D1 sprinter at Syracuse University in NY. My GPA was a 3.75 and my MCAT last year was 29 (11P 6V 12B). I just retook the MCAT last week and think I could have scored a 35+ ( my avg for my practice tests was around there). I have volunteer experience in the ER and a surgery center. I have a lot of research experience in many labs including chemistry, a general surgery laboratory, and for a neurosurgeon. I have a few publications with many more to come in the coming year. The work for the neurosurgeon is very novel and interesting work and I have been the head of many projects, so I hope I can impress some committees with it. I also have a lot of non-medical volunteer work. I have also been a tutor for three years.

I just figured I would give you guys background upfront just in case you were wondering if anything in my application was lacking.

Any inquiries are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, of course they do. And if your MCAT predictions are accurate, you should have no problems getting in.

First, let me apologize if this is a repeated topic in this forum. I performed a search on it and did not find much.

I was just wondering how much medical schools take into consideration the fact that someone is a DI athlete. I know it depends on the schools but would you think gives me a better shot of at least getting an interview?

Let me give you guys some background. I was a four year D1 sprinter at Syracuse University in NY. My GPA was a 3.75 and my MCAT last year was 29 (11P 6V 12B). I just retook the MCAT last week and think I could have scored a 35+ ( my avg for my practice tests was around there). I have volunteer experience in the ER and a surgery center. I have a lot of research experience in many labs including chemistry, a general surgery laboratory, and for a neurosurgeon. I have a few publications with many more to come in the coming year. The work for the neurosurgeon is very novel and interesting work and I have been the head of many projects, so I hope I can impress some committees with it. I also have a lot of non-medical volunteer work. I have also been a tutor for three years.

I just figured I would give you guys background upfront just in case you were wondering if anything in my application was lacking.

It doesn't sound to me like you'll need any "help" getting interviews. Involvement in Intercollegiate Sports has variable impact on your application, depending on individual adcomm opinion (some won't care, some will be groupies of individual sports), what you say about it in your PS (whether it makes you sound interesting), and the description you provide (eg relating personality traits leading to your success in sports to characteristics desirable in a physician).

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a few publications with many more to come in the coming year. The work for the neurosurgeon is very novel and interesting work and I have been the head of many projects, so I hope I can impress some committees with it.

You realize what you're saying when you say this right?

I think you're in pretty good shape. Especially if you end up getting a nice MCAT like you expect.

I think DI athlete is a great thing to have on the application but obviously it's not like your ticket into med school. Good luck I have a pretty good feeling you'll get in somewhere :)

The chances of getting "several more publications" in the coming year is...pretty darn slim...even in fields with very fast data...and the chances of being the head on several projects simultaneously as an undergrad is even slimmer. Most undergrads would be lucky to publish a single quality paper and oversee one independent project.

The chances of getting "several more publications" in the coming year is...pretty darn slim...even in fields with very fast data...and the chances of being the head on several projects simultaneously as an undergrad is even slimmer. Most undergrads would be lucky to publish a single quality paper and oversee one independent project.

When I say that we are publishing several papers this year I mean that we are in the process of writing at the moment and will be submitting in a month or so. I also just submitted an editorial to the AJNR that will be published soon.

I guess I did not know that undergrads did not have as much research experience as I thought. My advisor gives me a lot of freedom when it comes to projects. He is very busy and advises what he wants and I get it done for him. I write and design the experiments and protocols and let him edit it before we submit it. We have a very small team, so everyone does a lot more than normal. I guess I was given a great opportunity and have taken full advantage.

If you're a D1 athlete, you can talk about your time commitment. If you managed to get average stats while spending 6-8 hours a day working out and training, that speaks volumes.

Thanks everyone, makes me feel more confident about applying this cycle. I appreciate the insight.