DIY or Formal Post-Bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KLBMed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've read a few related threads and thought I would pose the same question with different circumstances:

Graduated in '08 with a B.S in Applied Physics. 3.07 cgpa and 3.04 sgpa.

I technically only need to take Orgo and Biology. But..my general chemistry grades taken freshmen year were both (hard earned) C's. I got A's in all but one math course I took in college and obviously I've got a broad brush of Physics classes.

Ideally, I'd like to do a quick math "refresher" course ever the summer and retake general chem I and II in a summer school format then take a year for Orgo and Biology followed by a second summer of Biochem or some other upper level science.

I know as a science major, there are many who would recommend a SMP. Is it completely wrong of me to say I remember very little from undergrad and I'm terrified of entering a SMP completely under-qualified?

Money and geography are (thankfully) not an issue. My ultimate goal is to be taken seriously when I apply to med school. I enjoy structure and that's what appeals to me with regards to a formal Post-Bac. But with so few required courses left to take, would I be wasting my time? Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Members don't see this ad.

I think your foundation in physics is def a plus for med school as it is a relatively "hard" major. Your best bet would be to do an SMP vs taking those undergrad classes. You'd only be focusing on upper level biological science courses in an SMP pertaining to medicine whereas you'd be doing broad basic sciences with the undergrad courses which don't necessarily help you in med school other than looking good on your transcript. You'd really need to take molecular cell bio, genetics, biochem, neuro which are considered "upper level" bio courses to show that you're capable of handling them in med school, and they're the only courses whose basics you need to understand really. And these courses plus a few more (anatomy, physiology) are all done in 1 year in most smp programs. I'd take these in an SMP vs taking undergrad bio and ochem and few more classes as an undergrad.
With all that said, depends on what kind of med school you want to end up in (md/do, low tier or name school etc). That's my two cents. Best of luck to you!

Reactions: 1 user
Atomicdaisy, thanks!

That's a great point about taking the upper level courses. A few follow ups- would I meet the pre-reqs for these upper level courses having only taken basic chem? Do I need to take the MCAT for SMP's? Also, I've read that a lot of SMP's are basically courses you would take in med school; does that mean that I don't have to take theses courses once I get to med school?
I'm open to any med school that will have me (MD or DO). I see benefits to both types and I've already got a degree from a name brand school- it doesn't matter when you're giving your blood sweat and tears to your classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I like your attitude towards what type of med school you want to attend!
Would you meet pre-reqs with only basic chem? - depends on the program. It's a whole new world of smp/postbaccs out there. They're categorized broadly into GPA enhancers, career changers (which id assume is your case), and the general ones for students with low mcat. Some require the basic sciences (2 semesters of biology, gchem, ochem, physics/biochem optional) some don't and take a case by case approach for admission. Look into Drexel they have multiple diff smp programs, and so do many other schools. I think if you google there's a list somewhere on the aamc website that lists schools offering smps and their pre-reqs.
Regarding the mcat, some programs require it, while some offer you prep courses while you do the SMP year so you take it before med school matriculation and some schools just have you take it before you apply to med school after completion of the program.
"Does that mean I don't have to take these courses once I get to med school?" - again that depends on the program. To name a school on top of my head that I know does it is nova, where if you make a certain grade in few of the SMP classes that you take along with nova's first year med school class, you don't have to repeat those classes when you matriculate to their first year as med student. But I know lot more programs that make you retake these courses than waive it (which actually will be in your favor for good GPA since you'd have seen the material once before)! The last part applies only if you decide to stay in the same school you did the SMP/postbacc for med school also. If you apply out, those only enhance your application and you won't get credit for SMP classes as a first year med student.
My advice is to research programs that you like and meet the pre-reqs for and email their admission counsellors with program specific question about mcat, repeating classes as a first year med student etc. if you do chose this route and say they want you to take 1-2 more classes in undergrad, then I say get the ball rolling on application for these programs for fall, and take whatever class they want you to take over the summer. This way you don't waste another year. I hope I didn't confuse you too much. Feel free to DM me if you'd like. I'm in the process of applying to SMP/postbacc programs but only DO schools due to some reasons.

Hi,
I would really appreciate any and all advice on the following scenario requiring methods of gpa enhancement, particularly sgpa:
I majored in BS in Biomedical Engineering at GWU May 2017 with overall GPA 3.4, science gpa 3.1. I had a bad downward trend senior year - 3.3 fall and 3.13 spring semester. Retook general chemistry 1 and 2. Regarding ECs, I have 250 hours of volunteering in two hospitals and 1 nursing home. 16 hours of shadowing at a hospital. I did an undergraduate research fellowship for 8 months on data processing in a lab meant to design robotic devices for autistic children. I had one leadership role in Biomedical Engineering Society club for a year. I didn't have other ECS while in school.

I had to withdraw from organic chemistry 2 in spring semester (had a poor semester with a 3.1 GPA senior year due to poor time management and mental health issues that I am now resolving and doing much better from) and retook it in the summer getting an A-. I took biochemistry in the fall semester and got an A while volunteering at a nearby hospital 4-8 hours a week. Currently, taking organic chemistry 2 laboratory and volunteering and shadowing. I am planning to take the MCAT in April or May.

I am debating whether I should apply to a smp program(Georgetown SMP, Cinnnati SMP, Tufts MBS, BU MAMS) or a premedical certificate (like the John Hopkins HSI) that involves upper-level undergraduate coursework starting 2018 fall(or summer, depending on the program) or just take additional upper-level science course to help out. I know that if I do a smp, med schools will look at both the undergraduate gpa and smp gpa separately and am just unsure how much a good smp gpa can compensate for my undergraduate science gpa. So I am debated -- will med schools prefer strong peformance in med school coursework or rather see I boost up my undergraduate science gpa?

If I decide to do DIY post bac program, I calculated that if I get As in 32 credits, I am able to boost my undergraduate science GPA to 3.4 (this requires extreme care I know ). I know I also have the option to do 32 credits coursework, MCAT, and apply to post bacs as I apply to med schools. However, if a smp would help more than DIY post bac for my situation, I'd prefer to that because I can take out a federal loan to cover the smp cost while for DIY informal post bac, no financial aid is offered and I have to pay out of pocket.

One more note: I have a thought of doing the Georgetown SMP and doing well in it for this reason: I know someone who is a dean at that med school (not a dean of admissions but a particular dean) and would be willing to support my application.

IF THIS POST BELONGS TO A SPECIFIC THREAD, please let me know where to put it!
Any and all advice on this is truly appreciated. Thanks very much for your help.