DIY PB - How much is enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What should I do this spring?

• Take 1 upper level science course

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CJhooper123

PGY ortho
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all - just wanted to get some perspective on my current PB situation.

Will be applying to medical school May 2018 - mostly DO, state MD, and low tier MD.

Went to strong liberal arts school and played 4 years of D1 athletics. Unfortunately, I didn't acclimate well my first 2 years of undergrad and earned a couple of C's/C+'s. Long story short, I turned it around my junior and senior year and improved my cGPA to a 3.05. Realizing this was too low for med school, I decided to embark upon a DIY PB.

So far, I have taken 23 credits of upper level biology classes (e.g. genetics, stem cell, neuroscience..) at accredited universities w/ a 3.8+ gpa. This has raised my cGPA to about 3.2 and science 3.1.

Should I be taking more classes this upcoming spring, or should I be focusing on writing my primary and secondaries?

Of note... for my last 100 course credits I have a 3.5 gpa. For my last 40 course credits I have a 3.7 gpa (these obviously include my undergrad). My EC's are the strongest part of my application - I have been working 2+ years as an ENT medical scribe. I have thousands of hours of shadowing. Research experience, publication, volunteer clinical/nonclinical. 3 MD LOR - hoping to obtain DO LOR as well.
Also... as a medical scribe, I don't make a lot of money. Classes are expensive, I have serious concerns that if I take classes this spring I might not be able to afford the application process.

MCAT: 504, 510

Members don't see this ad.

If your goal is to get in DO, i think your stats are more than satisfactory taking upward trend into consideration. What I would work on is getting that DO LOR (this would be the most important thing left). I'll defer to someone else on your MD chances.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all - just wanted to get some perspective on my current PB situation.

Will be applying to medical school May 2018 - mostly DO, state MD, and low tier MD.

Went to strong liberal arts school and played 4 years of D1 athletics. Unfortunately, I didn't acclimate well my first 2 years of undergrad and earned a couple of C's/C+'s. Long story short, I turned it around my junior and senior year and improved my cGPA to a 3.05. Realizing this was too low for med school, I decided to embark upon a DIY PB.

So far, I have taken 23 credits of upper level biology classes (e.g. genetics, stem cell, neuroscience..) at accredited universities w/ a 3.8+ gpa. This has raised my cGPA to about 3.2 and science 3.1.

Should I be taking more classes this upcoming spring, or should I be focusing on writing my primary and secondaries?

Of note... for my last 100 course credits I have a 3.5 gpa. For my last 40 course credits I have a 3.7 gpa (these obviously include my undergrad). My EC's are the strongest part of my application - I have been working 2+ years as an ENT medical scribe. I have thousands of hours of shadowing. Research experience, publication, volunteer clinical/nonclinical. 3 MD LOR - hoping to obtain DO LOR as well.
Also... as a medical scribe, I don't make a lot of money. Classes are expensive, I have serious concerns that if I take classes this spring I might not be able to afford the application process.

MCAT: 504, 510
Just remember that this process is a marathon now, not a sprint. Med schools aren't going anywhere,and in fact, by the time you apply, more will have opened thier doors, or increased thier class sizes.

I think given your upward trend, that it won't be necessary to take a full semester of classes. Your MCAT score is low for successful reinventors for MD school, and your best bet is your state MD school. You're fine for any DO school, including mine.

I can't recommend another MCAT retake, unless you're absolutely boning for the MD. In that case, a 513+ is needed, especially given that you;re a 2x taker already.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just remember that this process is a marathon now, not a sprint. Med schools aren't going anywhere,and in fact, by the time you apply, more will have opened thier doors, or increased thier class sizes.

I think given your upward trend, that it won't be necessary to take a full semester of classes. Your MCAT score is low for successful reinventors for MD school, and your best bet is your state MD school. You're fine for any DO school, including mine.

I can't recommend another MCAT retake, unless you're absolutely boning for the MD. In that case, a 513+ is needed, especially given that you;re a 2x taker already.

Hi Goro - thanks for the input. Will likely apply mostly to DO schools. I need to do some research to determine which DO schools favor out of state students (I am a Mass resident). Right now I'm thinking UNECOM, PCOM, ACOM, and BCOM off the top of my head.

On another note... the last poor grade I obtained in a class was ~5-6 years ago. I obtained a C in general chemistry II. This is the only "pre-requisite course" that I obtained anything lower than a B in. Do I have to retake this? I graduated w/ a chemistry degree and obtained A's/A-'s in classes like nanotechnology, quantum mechanics, and thermodynamics. I feel like it wouldn't prove much if I retook this course and got an A.

I do want to add my n=1 story here.

I have very very similar stats (moreso reinvented my GPA in latter years of undergrad with a few postbacc courses afterwards) and a 509 MCAT on first attempt. I applied to what ended up being a fairly safe school list to low-mid tier DO programs and received 7 interview invites. I am absolutely happy with where I have ended up, but do realize I could have applied to more reaches (more mid/upper DO and low-tier MD) given the number of interviews (alternatively this could just mean I targeted well and wrote good essays for these programs). So don't sell yourself short. Definitely include what you feel are reaches.

Last edited:
Your stats look very competitive for any DO school without taking additional classes this spring. Try to get that DO LoR, there are a handful of schools that require one.

Congratulations on your reinvention. I think your hard work is very likely to pay off if you apply this spring.

Reactions: 1 user
I do want to add my n=1 story here.

I have very very similar stats (moreso reinvented my GPA in latter years of undergrad with a few postbacc courses afterwards) and a 509 MCAT on first attempt. I applied to what ended up being a fairly safe school list to low-mid tier DO programs and received 7 interview invites. I am absolutely happy with where I have ended up, but do realize I could have applied to more reaches (more mid/upper DO and low-tier MD) given the number of interviews (alternatively this could just mean I targeted well and wrote good essays for these programs). So don't sell yourself short. Definitely include what you feel are reaches.

Thanks for the comments - congratulations on your success! I am sure it is well deserved.
I might try to pick your brain at some point in the next few weeks re: potential schools, app process, etc... I need to finish my last 2 PB courses strong in the interim.

Your stats look very competitive for any DO school without taking additional classes this spring. Try to get that DO LoR, there are a handful of schools that require one.

Congratulations on your reinvention. I think your hard work is very likely to pay off if you apply this spring.

Thank you - I'm hoping it all works out. The next step is definitely obtaining that DO LOR.

Thanks for the comments - congratulations on your success! I am sure it is well deserved.
I might try to pick your brain at some point in the next few weeks re: potential schools, app process, etc... I need to finish my last 2 PB courses strong in the interim.
Yeah feel free!