DIY post-bacc at community college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Siroucity

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Would taking classes at my community college AFTER I graduated with my bachelors negatively impact me (Assuming I get all A's). I was looking into taking classes at a 4-year for non-degree studies but it's $253 per unit! A little too pricey for me.

I've heard from a couple sources that taking science classes at a JC may be look at as unfavorable. I'm looking into taking some fun classes like Spanish, Psych, a Community Health class, etc because I like going to school and it'll boost my cGPA.

At my 4-year university, I got a 3.7 GPA with a 3.93 the past two years. I got a 2.1 GPA my first three years in JC before transferring, explaining my low GPAs:

sGPA: 3.48

cGPA: 3.19 (Hence why taking some CC classes may help raise this even though I have a great upward trend).

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

Would taking classes at my community college AFTER I graduated with my bachelors negatively impact me (Assuming I get all A's). I was looking into taking classes at a 4-year for non-degree studies but it's $253 per unit! A little too pricey for me.

I've heard from a couple sources that taking science classes at a JC may be look at as unfavorable. I'm looking into taking some fun classes like Spanish, Psych, a Community Health class, etc because I like going to school and it'll boost my cGPA.

At my 4-year university, I got a 3.7 GPA with a 3.93 the past two years. I got a 2.1 GPA my first three years in JC before transferring, explaining my low GPAs:

cGPA: 3.19 (Hence why taking some CC classes may help raise this even though I have a great upward trend).
Did you take the prereqs at the JC or the 4 year?

If the prereqs were at the JC, then you will need to go to the 4 year and retake those classes because you did terribly in them.

If the prereqs were at the 4 year, you don’t need a post bacc.

Either way, do the classes at a 4 year. And they need to be upper division science courses, not ‘fun’ classes. It isn’t for GPA repair, it is to show that you are ready to handle medical school.

Did you take the prereqs at the JC or the 4 year?

If the prereqs were at the JC, then you will need to go to the 4 year and retake those classes because you did terribly in them.

If the prereqs were at the 4 year, you don’t need a post bacc.

Either way, do the classes at a 4 year. And they need to be upper division science courses, not ‘fun’ classes. It isn’t for GPA repair, it is to show that you are ready to handle medical school.

Thanks for the response!

I took my prereqs at the JC before I transferred and got A's (Besides general chemistry and first semester bio, got C's in). I wouldn't be able to retake general chemistry at my university because I already graduated with a chemistry major. I also took a good amount of upper division classes including pchem, biochem, physio, neurobiology, and lots of other science upper divisions and received A's in them at my 4-year.

My issue is I already graduated from a 4-year and did decently well there but my GPA is still squashed from 6-8 years ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response!

I took my prereqs at the JC before I transferred and got A's (Besides general chemistry and first semester bio, got C's in). I wouldn't be able to retake general chemistry at my university because I already graduated with a chemistry major. I also took a good amount of upper division classes including pchem, biochem, physio, neurobiology, and lots of other science upper divisions and received A's in them at my 4-year.

My issue is I already graduated from a 4-year and did decently well there but my GPA is still squashed from 6-8 years ago.
And you would need 2 years of straight As to even get from a 3.19 to a 3.4. And that does nothing for your prospects, statistically. Don’t focus on the numbers - you are too far gone for the numbers. If you do >512 on the MCAT, your solid upward trend will speak for itself. You will have to apply broadly and you may want to consider DO, however you do not need the Post Bacc

And you would need 2 years of straight As to even get from a 3.19 to a 3.4. And that does nothing for your prospects, statistically. Don’t focus on the numbers - you are too far gone for the numbers. If you do >512 on the MCAT, your solid upward trend will speak for itself. You will have to apply broadly and you may want to consider DO, however you do not need the Post Bacc

Ah, so you're point is it won't be beneficial to continue with a post-bacc because I already have two years of a 3.9+ GPA at a university. I've already showed evidence of my ability to succeed in medical school.

Ah, so you're point is it won't be beneficial to continue with a post-bacc because I already have two years of a 3.9+ GPA at a university. I've already showed evidence of my ability to succeed in medical school.
Correct. @Goro may be able to provide a more thorough answer

Hi,

Realistically, your GPA will be viewed as a the 37 or 3.93.

Why do you want to take more classes at a CC?