DIY Post-Bacc CC classes instead of a 4 year university

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1063612

Hello,

I am in a bit of a pickle. I was enrolled in my local 4 year university as a graduate non-degree seeking student during the Fall 2020 semester. During that semester I was successfully able to complete immunology, pathology, pharmacology, and an ethics course with all As. Unfortunately, I did not realize this university had a cap of 12 credits that any graduate non-degree seeking student can enroll in and am no longer able to enroll in courses. I have been trying to become affiliated with a department (sort of like taking on a major) to be able to enroll in more courses but with no luck. My best option currently is to enroll in my local community college and take several courses there. The problem is that most, if not all, of the courses available are 1000 or 2000 level courses even though it may consist of organic chemistry, anatomy & physiology, forensic science, etc. Would it be looked down upon by medical schools if I enrolled in these lower level courses? As I don't plan on taking CC courses for longer than this semester and hopefully will be in a masters or back to the 4 year university by summer/fall.

Thank you for any advice in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

It's not a good idea to take medical school prereqs at a CC.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors
If the OP was able to take Immunology, Pathology, and Pharmacology, I'm guessing they already have the prerequisites done and are trying to take some extra science courses to boost GPA. Or for fun!
Hello,

I am in a bit of a pickle. I was enrolled in my local 4 year university as a graduate non-degree seeking student during the Fall 2020 semester. During that semester I was successfully able to complete immunology, pathology, pharmacology, and an ethics course with all As. Unfortunately, I did not realize this university had a cap of 12 credits that any graduate non-degree seeking student can enroll in and am no longer able to enroll in courses. I have been trying to become affiliated with a department (sort of like taking on a major) to be able to enroll in more courses but with no luck. My best option currently is to enroll in my local community college and take several courses there. The problem is that most, if not all, of the courses available are 1000 or 2000 level courses even though it may consist of organic chemistry, anatomy & physiology, forensic science, etc. Would it be looked down upon by medical schools if I enrolled in these lower level courses? As I don't plan on taking CC courses for longer than this semester and hopefully will be in a masters or back to the 4 year university by summer/fall.

Thank you for any advice in advance.
If you're set on taking courses this semester and there are reasonable options available at the CC, I don't see a problem there. Even if you can't take a full course load, I'd suggest courses you think you'd find genuinely interesting. I doubt a school would ask about the CC, but if they did, you have a good reason.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors
Thank you for your advice!

If the OP was able to take Immunology, Pathology, and Pharmacology, I'm guessing they already have the prerequisites done and are trying to take some extra science courses to boost GPA. Or for fun!

If you're set on taking courses this semester and there are reasonable options available at the CC, I don't see a problem there. Even if you can't take a full course load, I'd suggest courses you think you'd find genuinely interesting. I doubt a school would ask about the CC, but if they did, you have a good reason.
Thank you for your advice!

To both of you, I ended up enrolling in the community college since I had no other options. I was able to register for several courses that would typically be seen as upper division science courses at a 4 year university. Hopefully everything works out in the end! Thank you both again for your input.

Reactions: 1 user