DIY Post-Bacc Major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lincoln87

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does it matter what major I choose for my DIY post-bacc? For example, if I enrolled in a B.ScH in geography without intent on completing the degree, and took primarily science courses, would this be okay?

I'm planning on taking two semesters (ten courses) during the fall and winter semesters.

Members don't see this ad.

It probably only really matters if the major has advisors or specific resources that you want to take advantage of.

For example, the college of science at my university has competitive funding available for undergraduate research. As a biology major I am eligible for this funding, and was able to get a small stipend for an independent research project. If I'd randomly picked a major that didn't fall within the college of science, I wouldn't have been eligible for the funding.

But as far as simply being able to complete the required courses in a manner acceptable for a med school application, I don't think it matters at all.

In terms of how AMCAS and medical schools will view this, as long as you are not planning to obtain a degree, It will simply look like post baccalaureate classes on your transcript.