DIY Post-Bacc Options in NY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adoctoralawyer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the options for DIY Post-Bacc programs in or near NYC? Although the obvious answer is CUNY, I find the CUNY system and bureaucracy difficult and unwieldy to work through and would not look forward to spending several years wrestling CUNY for classes and credits.

Members don't see this ad.

I had a great experience at CUNY for my DIY postbac - great professors all willing to help, flexible schedule while working full time and also research opportunities. Can't beat the $ as well. PM me if you want more info/specifics.

Reactions: 1 user
I did the CUNY route as well. Best bang for the buck. Found the overall experience at John Jay to be great in every aspect (took genetics and biochem there, excellent library and resources); City Tech was average and very bureaucratic to enroll into (took bio 2/AP2/pathophys there-- library was meh and facilities need an overhaul). I have a friend doing the Colombia post-bacc that ensures med school admittance for those maintaining 3.0+, and aside from the price he recommends that as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a friend doing the Colombia post-bacc that ensures med school admittance for those maintaining 3.0+, and aside from the price he recommends that as well.
Do they really ensure med school for those over 3.0? I've heared it's very competitive and if you don't maintain grades you can get dropped, but not that there are guaranties to those that do maintain grades.

Do they really ensure med school for those over 3.0? I've heared it's very competitive and if you don't maintain grades you can get dropped, but not that there are guaranties to those that do maintain grades.

No, the minimum GPA for admittance is 3.0. You must maintain a 3.7 post-bacc GPA while in the program to earn acceptance to Columbia P&S. They also have linkage with many other med schools with varying GPA/MCAT requirements.

I'm at City Tech. Insanely bureaucratic registration process, but whatever. I've had to take the day off from work to register in person (there is no other way to do it). Cost is good and hours are good for working people. They have all the classes I need.

I'm in this same boat, but I'm trying to do an academic record enhancer. (3.3sGPA, 3.35cGPA). I wanted to do Columbia but I don't think it'll be for me. Anyone know of any programs that might fit here?

I only know about the Fordham one.

I'm at City Tech. Insanely bureaucratic registration process, but whatever. I've had to take the day off from work to register in person (there is no other way to do it). Cost is good and hours are good for working people. They have all the classes I need.
Hey can you tell me more about CCNY post bacc? Does TAP covers it?
Also, can you take all evening classes and work during daytime?

Another resounding vote for CUNY, City College in my case. If I were starting today, here's what I'd do. To my knowledge, leaving out the expensive new dedicated postbac program, CCNY second degree students register after the freshmen, which is no good. So I would base myself at a more obscure campus for prerequisites (maybe Lehman?) and then take upper-level sciences at City. Upper-level sciences are no problem to get into, because how many people are in a 400-level course, anyway, and there's usually no lab. There is an actual scientific community there, especially in biochem and biophysics, with talks and research opportunities and the whole deal. Can't recommend highly enough.

If you can really get some answers about "guaranteed" registration--I unfortunately don't know anyone who did this one-year program, which seems to be only in its second year--I would totally consider the year program, even though it's an extra $10K. Do they have special lecture sections for postbacs? Special labs? How do they do it?

Another resounding vote for CUNY, City College in my case. If I were starting today, here's what I'd do. To my knowledge, leaving out the expensive new dedicated postbac program, CCNY second degree students register after the freshmen, which is no good. So I would base myself at a more obscure campus for prerequisites (maybe Lehman?) and then take upper-level sciences at City. Upper-level sciences are no problem to get into, because how many people are in a 400-level course, anyway, and there's usually no lab. There is an actual scientific community there, especially in biochem and biophysics, with talks and research opportunities and the whole deal. Can't recommend highly enough.

If you can really get some answers about "guaranteed" registration--I unfortunately don't know anyone who did this one-year program, which seems to be only in its second year--I would totally consider the year program, even though it's an extra $10K. Do they have special lecture sections for postbacs? Special labs? How do they do it?
do you mean a DIY at leham?

No, the minimum GPA for admittance is 3.0. You must maintain a 3.7 post-bacc GPA while in the program to earn acceptance to Columbia P&S. They also have linkage with many other med schools with varying GPA/MCAT requirements.
I spoke with the admission counselor a few weeks ago, she said the linkage is not guaranteed. Not worth the risk.

I spoke with Belinda the admissions person, she said next year is actually the first time they started. This start was canceled. Not sure what happened in 2019..